Woman who sees and tastes music.

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

http://us.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/03/taste.sounds.reut/index.html

Interesting article about a woman who can literally taste the interval of notes and sees notes as colors. Way cool, I bet it's a real trip.

-Metaellihead

(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Trippy. So right away, it makes me wonder what the reverse would be like. -- I wonder what a marinated Filet Mignon, bacon-wrapped and lightly grilled, smothered with sauteed mushrooms and onions would sound.like?

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

synaesthesia, right? Isn't that the name of the phenomenon? It shows up in Romantic and symbolist literature. People used to assume that it was a literary convention but as it turns out, some people do have perceptions that cross senses. Fascinating stuff.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Trippy. So right away, it makes me wonder what the reverse would be like. -- I wonder what a marinated Filet Mignon, bacon-wrapped and lightly grilled, smothered with sauteed mushrooms and onions would sound.like?

It would be, of course, a symphony of flavor!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I remember times when I've seen and tasted more than colors when the music was playing.

Pink elephants and cowgirls were dancing across the ceiling. Does that count?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Interesting, because Jimi Hendrix always used colours to describe tones - maybe he had the same thing.

According to Sky News "A minor second interval is sour, a minor third is salty.

When she hears a major second it is definitely bitter, but major thirds are sweet and a minor sixth is always creamy.

And it is not just taste, but colour that she associates with sound. The note C is red and F sharp is violet."

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I remember times when I've seen and tasted more than colors when the music was playing.

Pink elephants and cowgirls were dancing across the ceiling. Does that count?

Joe

I think I've experienced that too. I could even feel the sounds...felt like somebody slapping and punching me in the face. I think the song was still stuck in my head as I could feel the bass pounding away in my head the next day.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

I hope she doesn't do that, I don't even put any peppersauce on the fillet minion. You have your Sirloin and your Bone Caps, fine, A1 steak sauce material. If you are quite a fancy diner you have your round eyes and your striploin, that will taste good with whatever you want. You if your boss is coming over, or you just got a bonus, and you're eating fillet minion or T-Bone steaks or whatever, you better not touch that with any sauce or meat or onions or mushrooms.

Anyways I'm surprised that they say that C is red. Shakespearian endings are always compared to both the C chord and the colour green. Funny how some effects are cultural.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rock and Roll- I taste Budweiser

Country- I taste Pabst Blue Ribbon

Jazz- I don't know what kind it is, but I taste wine.

Classical- I'm still tasting wine, but this is better.

Rap- I'm gettin' sick, I gotta go home now. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hahah, way to tell it, Wes...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote