Wooohoooo & Boston (the band)

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

As most of you don't know :D , I am a total Boston fan and will never get enough of that band. I've seen them everytime they've performed in my area. The first real good band I was in during high school years (gas was 35 cents a gallon) played 3 or 4 hits off their first album. We had the singer, let me tell you. (I was playing drums at the time.)

Some may know that just this year I got the guitar bug again and am now obsessed. So guess which band I wanted to try to learn some songs from?

Today, on the internet, I found a tab for Livin' For You from their Walk On album. :shock:

Printed it off, took it home, learned all the chords and can now play to the CD...MY FIRST COPY LEARNED. Can you say pumped???? The tab left a lot to be desired. The tab didn't give me the feel for how each chord should be played. By virtue of the musical ear God gave me I was able to dicern the technique used. Most of the chords seem to be picked rather than strummed. I got past that and feel like I've nailed it pretty dern close, pahdnah! :wink: Even the wife gave me a "hi-five".

So now my dilemma begins. I've done some other searches but can't find anything for other Boston songs I'd like to learn. Is there any free sites anyone knows about that can satisfy my thirst? Do I have to go out and buy whatever I can find and hope it's got what I'm looking for?

I would like to find information on all Boston songs so I can pick the ones I really want to play. I would like to do the same for TOTO, NightRanger and a few others that I love to listen to and perform.

If anyone can point me in a direction of FREE first, I'd be eternally grateful. If it comes down to buying a bunch of books to get there, that's what I'll end up doing. I will accomplish my goal by hook or by crook :shock: . . .Well let's leave the crook out of it. I just want to play the songs and play them right.

I know right now I don't know every chord I should and researching some of the songs I want to play, I've found a bizillion chords I didn't know exist and I like a lot of them.

HELP!!!! LOL :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Bish, Congrats!

Try PowerTabs

That's the archive. Should be a link to the PT Editor download there and about 15 Boston songs as well.

These are generally pretty good tabs.

I didn't look but they probably have some TOTO and Night Ranger as well.

The download can be found under the offical PT Site link on the bottom left of the page.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

Now I'll be here all night absorbing...

Appreciate the link, TF!

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

No problem man. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com has tons of tabs.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link, Moai!

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm on a roll now.

I just got finished chording through another Boston song, Amanda.

I got sort of tripped up on the chord changes.

It starts with G then does a C/G which I had no idea what that meant until I listened to the song. That was a tricky transition but with a few rewinds I was able to decifer it and move forward.

Boston incorporates some delicious chord arrangements that just gives me goose bumps.

Getting closer to moving up to the faster ones but I love their ballands. :)

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I still love "More Than A Feeling"...my favourite song to play along to a CD!!!!!

Chords are fairly easy, too....and it's a great song to play in the pub!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Bish

Yeah, Boston was great. Seems like they've been playing a lot on the radio again too. Great music.

I would love to play some of their covers in my band, but there is no way I can sing like that guy (don't know the singer's name). That guy has a fantastic voice. And Tom Scholz is awesome on guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Vic,

They've had so many good songs I have a hard time deciding which one I like best. Every album has something great to offer my ears. I listen to Walk On more than the others currently. Haven't got anything newer than that.

Wes,

Brad Delp was the original singer. Man could he wail.

Fran Cosmo is currently their front man but last time I saw them here, Brad was also performing and he said the funniest thing.

He introduced Fran as the "new young singer" that could belt out what he (Brad) no longer could. I disagree. Brad still gives a hair raising performance.

Have you seen the latest collection of their members? They have got the hottest bassist ever.....Kimberley Dhame. Ooh lala. :D

Check the link... http://www.boston.org/kimberley.html

Back in the 70's I was privileged to play with two phenominal guitartists that could do anything Boston had and one could sing like him. Man that was the day. :(

Now days if we tune down about 4 octaves we can still do it. (Yah, right!) :roll:

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

Little known fact: Boston actually stole all the material for their first record off of a band called "Newark". Boston went huge, and the guys in Newark work at Sev now. Sad, really. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always dug the song "Smokin'." One of the coolest riffs ever. I should try to learn to play it....

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Little known fact: Boston actually stole all the material for their first record off of a band called "Newark". Boston went huge, and the guys in Newark work at Sev now. Sad, really. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always dug the song "Smokin'." One of the coolest riffs ever. I should try to learn to play it....

Not a big Boston Fan myself, but Smokin is definately one of those gotta play riffs. :D

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Speaking of things I gotta play... :roll:

Yeah I had a big Boston phase, they really do have some nifty tunes. It was kind of before my guitar playing days, so I may have to go back and see if I can pull those off!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Pull what off? LOL! :wink: :wink:

Bish

ReplyQuote