Clear all

Woot! My Studio Complete!

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's not "Complete" in the truest sense of the word, but after months of research and reading the homerecording.com BBS, I knew what I really needed and the way to get there that would best suit me. And did it.

I got a separate computer that is dedicated only to recording, no Internet access to keep my hard work safe.

I decided to use the Presonus FirePod as my interface: it has 8 combination XLR-1/4" plugs, 2 of which accept instrument level input and the other 6 of which accept line level input. I got the MXL 991 and 990 combination pack, which, believe it or not, get a remarkably clear sound for the money spent ($100).

I'm using Alesis monitors, and borrowing a set of Sennheiser headphones from a friend of mine and absolutely loving every second! All my production of course feels very amateur, but I'm getting a better and better feel for it, and hope to be coming out with some quality results in the not so distant future!

Oh, and here's the payoff: the pic! Also, notice my state-of-the-art desk and chair technology: Yes, that's a keyboard bench, and a 3 tier keyboard stand with a piece of particle board sitting on top, the second table (on the right) is actually a shelf out of my linen closet :D . Hey, when you're saving money, something's gotta get cut, you know! 8)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Looks great 8) - Hope to hear some of your work soon.

What recording software are you using :?:

I am also in the process of setting up recording equipment :)

BS

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The Firepod came with Cubase LE, the smallest, cheapest version of Cubase available. Many people find it limiting, at the moment, I'm still lost in the features.

Maybe when I've done more, I'll understand the need to be able to apply twice as many effects to an individual channel or record more than 24 channels simultaneous, but it's not coming up at the moment... :roll:

To a degree, I'd like to get a copy of Sonar, as that is what my primary collaboration partner is using, and the instant compatibility would be nice, but for a while, I think I'll stick with this. The full version of Sonar is $300, and that's money that I'd definitely rather spend on other things at the moment.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

congrats

you have to post a sound clip soon, to startt off your home recording

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Nice!! :) :) Congrats on the sweet studio! I've always wanted on of those mini studio things, but I can't afford it right now anyway... :( I don't have any money coming in whatsoever right now.. Oh well, again, congrats, and enjoy! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

we better enjoy our jobless youth while we still have it yoyo. it's good but im sad to say I want a job now. Theres no other way to pay for more guitars

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

How do you get at the keyboard....does it swivel down?

One of these days soon I hope to get back in my music/computer room....at the moment it's buried under god-knows how many bagfuls of my stepdaughter's junk after she moved houses..."a few bits and pieces" she said....HAH!

Anyway....have fun, looks a pretty neat set-up....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

At the moment, that place for the keyboard pretty much just keeps it out of the way! :lol: For the limited amount that I use it, I can just stand and play it when I need to, and that gets the job done just fine. I suppose if I actually needed to do a big chunk of a song with it I'd probably play it on the bed.

Vic: Sad to hear your sound room is buried, I'll be looking forward to doing some collaborations with you in the future!

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

To a degree, I'd like to get a copy of Sonar, as that is what my primary collaboration partner is using, and the instant compatibility would be nice, but for a while, I think I'll stick with this. The full version of Sonar is $300, and that's money that I'd definitely rather spend on other things at the moment

You should be able to export a project as OMF, which to my understanding is a common file format between Cubase and Sonar.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 BMG
(@bmg)
Eminent Member

Congrats man. Must be nice having some real pro gear and
recording/mixing equipment.

How much did all this cost?

If you don't mind my asking.
Well, it's not "Complete" in the truest sense of the word, but after months of research and reading the homerecording.com BBS, I knew what I really needed and the way to get there that would best suit me. And did it.

I got a separate computer that is dedicated only to recording, no Internet access to keep my hard work safe.

I decided to use the Presonus FirePod as my interface: it has 8 combination XLR-1/4" plugs, 2 of which accept instrument level input and the other 6 of which accept line level input. I got the MXL 991 and 990 combination pack, which, believe it or not, get a remarkably clear sound for the money spent ($100).

I'm using Alesis monitors, and borrowing a set of Sennheiser headphones from a friend of mine and absolutely loving every second! All my production of course feels very amateur, but I'm getting a better and better feel for it, and hope to be coming out with some quality results in the not so distant future!

Oh, and here's the payoff: the pic! Also, notice my state-of-the-art desk and chair technology: Yes, that's a keyboard bench, and a 3 tier keyboard stand with a piece of particle board sitting on top, the second table (on the right) is actually a shelf out of my linen closet :D . Hey, when you're saving money, something's gotta get cut, you know! 8)

BMG...learning player and composer of "Skulk Music"
Skulk means:
To lurk, creep, or glide about unseen. Usually with hostile intentions.

ReplyQuote
(@blada)

very nice, but move that notebook (on Ebay) from floor and try to buy new keyboards :D

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

very nice, but move that notebook (on Ebay) from floor and try to buy new keyboards :D

The notebook serves it's purpose. As I intend to keep my recording computer of the net, it's handy to have that in there to get lyrics or chords on it when I'm recording without having to print them off. It's about 4-5 years old now, so it really has no meaningful value.
How much did all this cost?

If you don't mind my asking.

I don't mind at all. I wish more people would just gimme the info, it seems like I really had to pry it out of people when I was searching. I'd say "How much did it all cost?" and over and over again I'd get: "Well, I guess if you include the computer, well, and I don't really count the cables... uh... I guess..." me: "Shut up and tell me!"

So that's what I'll do for you, itemized and everything. Oh, and I'm going to drown you in miscellaneous information in case you're considering going down that road. Hope it helps!

Computer - $750
HP: Including 17" flat monitor (!), cables, standard compliment of software, Athlon64, 512, 160, R/RW, etc.

Monitors - $400 pr.
Alesis Mk1: That's the sound kind, not the viewing kind. Reasonably accurate, certainly can't complain for the price, which is great for monitors. Honestly, would have probably gotten KRK Rockit 5"'s, except for the fact that guy I often collaborate with has them, and it's good to have diverse monitoring environs. These are a little nicer, but the Rockit's are cheaper.

Digital Interface: $600
Presonus Firepod: This is really what does all the work. 8 inputs, decent preamps, unit also does the Analog to Digital (A/D) conversion, which is a big part of your sound quality. The unit also came with the software I'm using, which is Cubase LE, the sort of low-end version of Cubase.

Mics: $100
The MXL 990/991 pack: A small diaphragm and a large diaphragm condenser. Both very capable, and I'm hooked on the way the LDC does acoustic guitar. In the past, most of my experience has been with Shure SM57's, which are awesome for guitar amps, but... lackluster in acoustic recordings. The LDC really delivers.

Cords: $50
A couple Monster XLR cables. I tend to steer clear of Monster as they are overpriced, but I picked them up on the advice of a friend I trust. He's got a pile of cables, and apparently the monsters are the only ones that he hasn't had any issues with. I still won't touch their guitar cables, but these seem to be of high quality.

Stands: $50
2 On Stage stands. Little guys, just keeping the mics off the ground. They cover the height of floor level to about 3 feet off the ground, which covers the amps, sitting with acoustic, sitting while singing (on the desk) or standing while singing (also on the desk).

Tables: $150
That's the 3 tier keyboard stand that holds most of it and the single tier keyboard stand on the side that holds the rest. The large piece of particleboard I got for free from a friend, the other table is the top shelf of my linen closet.

I didn't buy the keyboard in conjuction with this, but it was about $200 I think, just for those times when I need to indulge my piano side. I played piano for about 5 years when I was younger. The headphones I'm borrowing from a friend, the digitech sitting on top of the Firepod was about $100. It served it's purpose long ago, and now serves only to lower the quality of my recorded guitars... Some sort of rack based effect unit should be in my not too distant future.

Anyhow... that should cover it! I think that totals to about 2k. I had to come to grips with the fact that if you want good sound, it costs. I initially went looking with the idea that I wanted to spend about 1200, but before too long I realized I wanted quality and capabilities beyond that, so here I am, and I'm very glad I waited and saved. I'd recommend it to anyone.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yeah the studio seems cool.By the way , do you sing also or you gonna record someone else's songs.Anyway congrats for the mini :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Looks like a great setup. I was this close to getting the firepod, but I'm going to go with a usb unit instead I think. I need another guitar or three first :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Wow, that is nice, congrats! Money well spent! lookin forward to hearing some recordings.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2