Clear all

Yay! I got a harmonica!

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I just felt like telling someone who appreciates blues :P I just got a Hohner Blues-Harp and started learning how to play...it's a lot harder than it looks and I'm just starting to get cleaner notes and my bends don't sound as bad as they used to. It's fun stuff...

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yes it is fun to play alittle blues harp! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, from one blues lover to another, congratulations and good luck!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my best friend in college had a Horner blues harp.; we jammed the blues all the time.
he turned me on to a Chicago duo Siegal/Schall band. guitar and harp that was just ghreat.
you may find them on Cd.
also you need to give a listen to Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. another guitar harp duo.

yeah harps!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Congrats on the harp! 8)

I'm a harmonica newbie too - have been learning on my Hohner Special 20 for that last three weeks or so. 'Tis coming along nicely and enjoying it immensely.

Mind you, it wasn't (isn't) blues that drew me to the harp - though I do appreciate blues and will probably learn such - no, it was more the stylings of Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Xavier Rudd and other similar artists. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it's a lot harder than it looks and I'm just starting to get cleaner notes and my bends don't sound as bad as they used to.

You just got a harmonica and you've already figured out how to bend a note? Good start, dude...

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

I just have an old marine band but it's a great thing to have at the camp site,probably the hardest instrument to keep clean though!!!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats.

I used to play Blues Harp a lot, I got pretty good. I still got a few around the house, I let the kids blow on them. :D

Yeah, it takes some practice to always properly blow or draw the correct note. And bending notes is a matter of lowering the tongue.

I should take it up serious again.

Stay at it, the Blues Harp is a great instrument. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

My absolute favorite thing about harmonica is how portable it is!
No amps, electricity, cables, or even instrument cases!

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I picked one up too months ago but it was a lot harder than I expected so I postponed learning it. Need more time for the guitar at this point.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

congratulations, I think that playing the harmonica is cool.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I liked the idea of being able to carry around and instrument and being able to jam on demand. Also not very many people play harmonica very profficiently (everyone has one but not many people know much about them) so I can fill a niche that my guitar playing can't fill. Bending a note wasn't difficult because before I even thought about bending a note I had been playing around with odd sound effects with my tongue so it was only a short step from there to actually bend a note.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

I got myself a five dollar Cracker Barrel harmonica last month and have since spend about ten dollars for a song book for it. Fun and good times for not a lot of money. I've seen the other Horner harmonicas in the music store and for the life of me, they look exactly like the five dollar horner from Cracker Barrel. Anyone notice a difference? I know you all eat at Cracker Barrel too. :lol:

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Can we see it by any chance ?

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Can we see it by any chance ?

Not sure which harmonica you want to see but hopefully I can make this work to show my five dollar, Cracker Barrel Harmonica. :D

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2