Clear all

yet another new amp thread.sorry!

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I currently have a Marshall VS100R ,100w 3 channel combo.(clean,overdrive 1 + 2).I need a replacement amp preferably something with some built in effects.I also need at least three selectable channels as I hate using separate effects pedals.(too much hassle to set up at gigs).
To give you some idea what I'm after I am currently looking at the Marshall AVT100 and the Line 6 flextone iii.If anyone has any of these amps or can suggest something else I would very much appreciate it.Play mostly rock/blues/grunge.Amp needs to be loud but portable as I gig regularly so the Marshall stack is out I'm afraid.
thanks.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

is your price range more than the marshall or line6? Since you dont seem to play metal(i might be wrong, in that case solid state MIGHT be the way to go) so i say try to save up some money and get a tube amp if you are that concerned about youre tone. If youre not and want something more go with solid state. Also, the Line6 is a modeling amp, and the marshall isnt. Are you looking for a modeling amp?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The possibilities would be endless. One Idea would be to combine rack mounted equipment and a guitar amp. These pre-amps below will give you more than 3 channels to work with. If you took a 4 space case added a line conditioner, pre-amp, Eq, then use one guitar amp or for stereo use two guitar amps. A full Rack Setup would cost the same or less than purchasing one good 3 channel guitar amp, if one was to shop around. All you'd have to carry in would be a rack case, speaker cabinet, and guitar.

Rack cases: Anvil, SKB.
Optional Power conditioners: Juice Goose, Furman, Art.
Pre-amps: Digitech 2112 or 2120, Art Sgx-2000, LINE6 POD XT.
Equalizers: Art 341 stereo, Peavey EQ-215, Rane ME-15, Alesis M-EQ 230.
Optional Power amps: Peavey 50/50 or Mesa Boogie 50/50.
Optional Attenuators: Altair, THD hot plate, Power soak, Weber.
Speakers: Any 1x12 or 2- 1x12's, 2x12, 4x12 cabinet.

Just thinking.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Hey Bobblehat!

I notice you are in Caerphilly! Next time you're in Cardiff drop by Speed Music, they have devoted their entire basement to amps - more Marshalls than you can count and some other great stuff too.

If you're not sure where it is (most people have never heard of it!) map here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=318111&y=176337&z=1&sv=Quay+Street&st=6&tl=Quay+Street,+Cardiff,+CF10&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf and website here: http://www.speedmusic.co.uk

You will almost definitely find something you like in there!

As far as particular amps go - I find that if someone wants that Marshall sound, nothing else will do, so think whether you really want one. Otherwise, if you want any other sound, a Marshall simply won't do! I'd second the tube-amp suggestion, but if you are after modelling, good things keep being said around here about the Vox Valvetronix range - check 'em out!

Gareth,
Expatriate Welshman.

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote