Clear all

Your favorite hardtails?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am shopping for my next solid body electric guitar. I initiated an order for a Peavy Predator EXP Plus but it has a floyd rose and I have read nothing but tuning problems with these things I don't wish to bring onto myself, so I cancelled the order. If I had a real use for a floating bridge I would just get one anyway but I don't. So...

So far a Schector Omen 6 is looking good and the nice-price range I am figuring. Also looking at Ibanez SZ-520, Schector C1 Blackjack, Dean Vendetta 1. Will look at all others under $600.....

What are your favorite hardtails?

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

Fender Telecaster.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I happen to be the proud owner of an OMEN 6. I LOVE THIS GUITAR! I can honestly say it's some of the best money I've spent on a guitar. String it up with your favorite strings, stretch them out, tune it up and then beat the ever loving crap out of it and it'll still be in tune when you are done. :D

For that price range you can't go wrong with one.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. And Twisted Fingers....it is nice to hear someone RAVE about a guitar! :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

heh! Think I'm raving. I'm fortunate enough that a couple of really good players let me jam with them each week. Both these guys have been playing a long time and have lots of nice, and vintage gear around, and this is how our jams generally go.

We start out playing around for an hour or so. Then it's beer and cig break. By the time we come back; one of them has my Omen 6 in their hands, and I get told to pick up the 65 strat, a late 60's or early 70's sg, or anything else lying about I feel like picking up and playing, and then spending the rest of the night begging for my Omen 6 back. :shock:

I think I finally have them both convinced to go buy their own. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Fender also makes a hardtail Strat.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
 kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

yeah... I have a C-1 classic Schecter also (hardtail), and am really happy with it.

Buy one, ditch the stock POS pickups as soon as possible, and put in whatever suits your fancy.

I don't think I'll ever own a tremelo-outfitted guitar again. Not only do hardtails stay in tune better, you can switch to an alternate tuning, maybe have to adjust once, and your set.

Try that with a full floating rig.. you'll be there quite a while adjusting springs, and otherwise having a hard time of things. I'll pass ;)

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I love Epiphone SGs (or Gibson if you can afford it). You could get your standard dark red one, or one like mine bellow. They've also got a jazzy looking model.
The variation on mine is great, it can go from really bassy n mellow to harsh thrashy.

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

I own a Peavey Preditor Plus and it doesn't have a Floyd Rose Tremelo system, maybe you can order it without em?

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The pickups on the Blackjack PT (They put the same ones on the Blackjack 006) are pretty amazing. The whole package makes for one very playable guitar. One of the best intermediate level guitars I've ever picked up, I might say. Highly recommended in the hardtail catagory.
...and a Telecaster, of course.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Slothrob

I played a Schecter PT in a music store once. I was very impressed with it. The quality was great, the neck played like butter, and I really loved the coil taps. You could play heavy metal on it, or just pull out on the volume knob for the most realistic Tele twang. Excellent guitar. It was also a very attractive guitar as well.

Schecter Blackjack PT

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote