Clear all

Learn enter sandman so quickly?

33 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Friggin' heck! I thought this would be a bit of a challenge! I learned the intro in like 3mins and perfected it in like 5mins. Come on! Anyway...why complain? Any other good riffs that would be good for me to learn? I'm looking to play metal.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

black sabbath - paranoid is a classic.
so is smoke on the water..
check the lessons on this site, see if you find something you like
otherwise, try songs you think are cool.
find the tabs, try to play them, and if you can't (after some trying of course!, you dont progress by playing stuff that is easy for you.)
, look around for things you like that are simpler.

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK dumb question here but, what good is just learning the intro?

Can you play the whole song?

If not why not learn that instead of a bunch of riffs/intros.

If your a beginner I understand where your coming from cuz I did the same thing learn a million riffs/intros but at the end of the day they don't mean much if you can't play the whole song and as cool as it sounds to you when you nail it the first thing someone will say is either Is that all you know? or can't you play the whole song?

Like I said I did the same thing but in retrospect it didn't really help my playing in any way.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

heh, u want a challenge ehh...try any of metallicas stuff off of lightning and master....battery, creeping death, try dyers eve....have fun

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I'd agree with cnev about learning the whole song. Being able to put something together.

But anywho, heres some cool riffs:

Sympton of the Universe - Black Sabbath
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Kashmir - Led Zep'
Back in Black - ACDC

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

Yah, it sounds kind of like you're mocking the fact that Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' was such an easy song to play..
I mean, there are thousands of people who can say that Enter Sandman's Intro was the first thing they learned.
It was for me..
anyway, yah, as someone else said, try some of their older stuff, they have some really fast shredding going.

anyway.

Try ...
Godsmack - I stand alone
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper
Dream Theater - As I Am
Dream Theater - This Dying Soul
Disturbed - Stupify, Down with the Sickness, Prayer, Believe, Liberate.
Slipknot - Duality
Metallica - One, Eye of the Beholder, To Live is to Die, And Justice for All..., and so on.....
..well actually alot of Dream Theater's music is good, check em out.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah...I guess I should learn the whole song. But I do really enjoy just learning a cool riff...modifying it and then throwing the modified version into my own stuff.

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

If you only learn the riff though, your subconscious mind never gets its chance to see how songs are structured, thus your own songwriting can suffer. :(

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh, you want something a little more challenging do ya?

This is an old song, but believe me, it kicks. And if you just learn the intro note for note you will REALLY impress a lot of people.

The song is called "Lazy" by Deep Purple. The guitar player is none other than Ritchie Blackmore, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) Metal players of all times. Now this particular song is more Blues. But if you can nail the intro, you'll be doing alright.

So see if you can download this somewhere. The intro lasts until the singing begins. It ought to keep you busy for a day or two.

I can even e-mail you this song if you have WinZip to unzip it. And to be fair, I spent a lot of time on this when I started, so I'm not asking you to do something I didn't do myself. It's a good song.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

why did you learn intros only in the beginning?
at least for me, it was all i could play..
so learning new riffs i worked my left hand to become known with the fretboard, and my right hand to learn where each string is.

because, when you have to concentrate on i.e. the intro to enter sandman, a whole song seems long and impossible.
plus, for every little riff you learn, it makes it easier to learn a new one.
not everybody wants to play "a horse with no name" for three hours a day because thats the only song they'll manage

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, but it's funny. Everyone was talking about this in a post earlier last week. I went to Guitar Center a few days ago. It was awful, it really was. There was a pretty big crowd. And sure enough, there was one kid playing the intro to Enter Sandman over and over and over. Aughhh! After about 20 minutes it starts to get to you. Remember the scene in Animal House where John Belushi rips the guitar out of the guy's hands and smashes it? I was seriously thinking about doing that!

But it was worse. There was one guy who spent at least 45 minutes tuning the guitar he was trying out. Now that's ok, a guitar should be in tune. But you don't have to tune it at high volume through a Marshall stack.

I'm laughing about it now, but that was one noisy place!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I'm with you Wes. I went to GC last week too and I couldn't bare to stay in there my usual hour or so.. there were so many kiddies, it was like a friggen band practice or something... I think the funny thing is the guys that can really rip often go into the sound room and close the door... I wish they'd come out and rip in the open instead of the kid(s) doing 7-Nation Army over and over.... ugggghhhh!!!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah wes...I think I'll do that...we have a deep purple cd around here...just gotta see if it has that song...cheers

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Good for you DayZd

Seriously. If you can nail that intro, you will become a good Blues player just by learning it. It's a tough one!

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Woah, thats one cool intro, know any good tabs for it?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3