Notifications
Clear all

Learn enter sandman so quickly?

33 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member

Furthermore, many songs, after a charismatic intro, will lapse into a standard chord progression or some such section that just isn't going to sound like much without maybe bass, drums, and voice, etc.

I whole-heartedly agree.

This space for rent

ReplyQuote
 kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

Soloing has seen a definite decrease these days... but after the "look at ME!!" nonsense a lot of late 80's - 90's metal brought with it, I think its a good thing.

I'd rather hear something where the whole band gets to display how well then can do something interesting together. The idea of solos being a standard (or for that matter, the dull and very played out intro-verse-chorus-verse chorus-solo-chorus-outro arrangement) is just silly to me.

As far as newer music being the same old thing, and not very melodic.... look beyond whats on MTV and current rock radio stations, and pick up just about anything from Opeth. (well, anything post-Morningrise and Orchid, which are not quite in the same league as the masterpieces created afterwards)

Discovering this band for myself made me re-think music, how it can be approached, and guitar playing in general.

*edit* I forgot to add why I posted here to begin with... learn the whole song!! Being able to play an entire song, mistake free, will do nothing adverse for you. You'll increase your concentration level, and you'll see your skill level start to increase dramatically... and will also help you re-think the guitars role in music. Not everything played has to be, or should be, guitar-centric.

Also, pick things that are out of your league, skill wise. Learn the song slow, use a metronome, and just hash through it. It will make you a better player, and you'll have concrete proof of your skill increasing.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

"Were raising up a generation of kids who think they can just wear there pants halfway down there , detune, and bang away. *, some of my kids can play that stuff. Doing that doesnt make you cool. it makes you a geek."-Dave Mustaine

Yeah! You tell it like it is, sister!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3