Clear all

Your Gear...

1,112 Posts
284 Users
0 Likes
131 K Views
(@gary58)
Trusted Member

Just joined the forum, someone suggested I could list my gear here...........

Epiphone: copy of Fender Strat, with bridge humbucker and nice curver/angled headstock, approx 18 years old.

Gibson Les Paul Standard: Honeyburst, Burstbucker Pro pups, new, 2 weeks ago.

Gibson ES335 dot: Cherry, '57 classic pups, new, 1 week ago.

Martin: acoustic/electric, 2 tone blonde/dark, bridge pup, good sound acoustically or as electric, approx 35 years old.

Carlsbro 90 watts combo amp: with overdrive, reverb and grapic equaliser.

Korg sound processor: does everything, need a degree to work it!

Hoping to get an American Fender Strat soon, possibly the 60th anniversary, or something else significant to a person or ere?

Would also like to get a Gibson, SG '61 reissue later this year.

Considering a valve amp, not combo as vibration destroys the valves (or tubes for those over the water).

Regards everybody

Gary UK

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Considering a valve amp, not combo as vibration destroys the valves (or tubes for those over the water).

I've never heard that one before! Is this some new urban myth, put around by the valve manufacturers?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

my new martin:

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Cat: Weird headstock, looks great! I assume you ain't regretting getting back to guitar? :D

Yeah it's pretty sweet looking :)

Nah, not regretting it as such - just finding it more frustrating than I used to ;)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member

No, not a windup, the electrodes, comprising fine wires inside the valve, are sensitive to vibration or shock, so if you have a loudspeaker in the same cabinet they receive continuous vibration and can short and fail.

I used to sell and repair PA and guitar amplifiers, and for a while designed and built custom amplifiers, you can actually see the electrodes bouncing about inside the valve whilst playing loud music, so it's always best to have a seperate head and speaker outfit than a combo, and don't stand the head on the speaker cab!

The best combination, as with HI-Fi systems costing 1,000 pounds or more, is a transistor pre-amp and valve power amp. The transistor pre-amp has the advantages of low noise, hum and distortion and the valve power amp has the simple advantage that valves produce even harmonic distortion, which is a natural and warm sound, whereas transistors produce odd harmonic distortion, a brittle metalic unnatural sound. As pre-amps may only produce in the region of 0.001% distortion, this isn't really in the odd/even harmonic equation, the power amp however will be more like 0.1% distortion at average drive, increasing to perhaps 10% or more at full drive/overdrive.

Regards,

Gary UK

ReplyQuote
(@kronie)

I don't have any recent pictures done up, I'll need to since my recent upgrades but I'll list what I'm currently playing with/on....

~ '04 MIM JV Strat with custom 'bucker in the bridge, set up to play slide in standard tuning (E)
~ Genz Benz El Diablo 60c
~ Crate V8 Palomino 5 Watt practice amp
~ Vox Tonelab
~ Boss Loopstation
~ Francisco Tarregas classical guitar
~ Boss BR1180 CD Mixer/Digital Recorder
~ SM57 mic and a 'no name' condenser mic

That's it for the main stuff. I've got a tool box rigged up for cables and the other loads of accessories that one collects - picks, tools, strings, slides, capo's, etc. etc.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Well, my main rig:

Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocolypse Pro (Soon to be replaced?)
Epiphone Valve Special

Acoustic:
Yamaha FG700S

Other Gear:
Behringer V-tone GFX 212 (I'm gonna sell it, It can be yours for 200)
Korg CA-30
Digitech Death Metal (I'm gonna sell that to, you can have it for 40, I'll even through in a battery)

Prospective gear:
Time to revamp the lineup. Just got the Valve Special to replace the Behringer. Next I'm looking to replace the Paul Stanley with a Les Paul (I know, its cute how each has paul in its name...). I might get an Agile, I might get an Epi, I don't know. We will see what kind of funds I can make selling off my old gear, mowing lawns, etc. I get a Squier 51' and swap out the pups, and swap out the bridge pup of the Silvertone, and have seperate blues/rock and metal axes. The possibilities...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well it certainly took a while to find this thread. I typed Post your gear into the search window and it still took me 17 pages to find this searching page by page. I must need help using search. :roll:

So I made my final acquistion for a while. About 2 months ago I purchased this white EPI Les Paul. It's a very nice guitar tonal wise, has great feel and isn't too heavy to hold. So I thought I'd show you what I found are my favorite to fun guitars to play.

Two years of diligent purchasing, experimenting, selling at huge losses and buying more guitars finally got me to this collection. I think it'll work for what I need. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Very nice collection Bish.

:)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

My Humble collection - Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Hohner Acoustic, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Vox AD30VT.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

guitars-- epi les paul black beauty ( 3 dimarzio pups)
fender american strat
epi dr aqoustic/electric
mitchel aqoustic
amps-- fender hot rod deville 4x10
peavey valve king
roland micro cube
pedals-- ibanez ts 808 tube screamer
mxr 10 band equilizer
mxr phase 90
morley bad horsie 2 whah

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I love this thread and I'm glad it's been bumped.

@bish: Nice collection. That PRS looks stunning.

@Darth Ordinary: Would love to see a larger picture of your Gordon Smith.

I may be posting a few of pics here myself in the next couple of days. Watch this space. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Bring it Chuckster. That's what this thread is for. It got buried so I thought it needed reviving.

Thanks for the compliments on the PRS. It's a sweet music maker.

Rocker, we need pictures. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Bish,

That LP is sure pretty! 8) Nice addition to the collection. Glad to see your Strat stayed with you too - from a pic you used to use in your avatar - that's the guitar I always picture you playing! :lol:
Darth Ordinary: Would love to see a larger picture of your Gordon Smith.

+1 - interesting looking guitar. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Here's mine

L to R
On the Floor in front: Traynor TVM10 battery-powered amp
On the Floor: Epiphone SG Limited Edition, Yamaha Junior acoustic-soon to become a lap steel, Washburn WA20 acoustic guitar amplifier, Profile music stand
On the Stools: Digitech RP300 multi-effects/modeler, medium bottleneck slide, Ibanez SM7 Smash Box distortion, Dunlop acoustic capo
In the Back: Yamaha Digital drumset-my sister's and fun to play around with
On the Wall: Oscar-Schmidt by Washburn acoustic-my dad's guitar, has a great unplugged sound, Oscar-Schmidt by Washburn Acoustic-Electric w/cutaway
Not Shown: Hobart M. Cable Upright piano-traded a Yamaha keyboard for this a while back when my mother got fed up with a synth-type sound. Best trade we ever made :D

Fly On

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
Page 20 / 75