Clear all

12 string arrived with CRACKED BRIDGE

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I told you all about my Maritin acoustic 12 string that was coming this week. It arrived with a cracked bridge. The crack(s) run through all the pegs on the back (rear) row.

I'm going to talk to the seller tomorrow about a price adjustment.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a quick fix or something I can apply to keep it from getting worse?

2. Can I use it the way it is? Until the pegs pop out?

I am really bummed out over this. :cry:

I just added the picture below.

Dennis

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear that.

Well, since most of the pressure is on the front of the holes you can probably keep playing but I would get it fixed soon because eventually it will pull up..

Temporarily, if it is wood (likely with a Martin) you can use wood glue and if it is plastic you can use super glue and use a clamp to put some pressure to pull it back together. However I would not do that with it on the guitar and it is probably glued on so be careful. You will have to make sure it is kept flat also while it is clamped.

It is a cheap enough fix to get someone to put a new bridge on so that is the way I would go.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This crack is really like a split. A hairline crack and it's not all the way through the whole bridge so it hasn't come apart or pulled up. The bridge is on solid for now. I checked th edges with a thin piece of paper to see if there was any lifting I don't think there's any room to get glue to seep down in the crack.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I would then take some wood glue and wipe/smear it into the crack kind of like they do with ceramic tile grout. Then wipe off the surface with a dry cloth. Make sure none gets in the peg holes or you will never get them out.

I would do it with the strings off, make sure the holes are dry with a q-tip, then put the strings back on while it is setting up. If the crack is real visible you can touch it up with a furniture touch up stick. They look like crayons and come in different colors.

And the bottom line is you have a good guitar there so I would invest in a new bridge.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Now that you posted a picture it looks to me like it is just a surface crack and does not even go the length of the bridge. If it is playing well and the strings don't pop out I would not worry about it and just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then replace it.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Nils....thanks for taking the time to look (and re-look). I appreciate it.

I'm still in a state of shock though. My heart really sank. It would have been a perfect guitar without that.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils....thanks for taking the time to look (and re-look). I appreciate it.

I'm still in a state of shock though. My heart really sank. It would have been a perfect guitar without that.

Dennis
No problem.

As guitars age these kind of things happen anyway so take it as lightly as you can and don't let it impact enjoying it. Like I said earlier it is a cheap repair and nothing serious.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Nils is right, those things are easy to fix. Not only that, it is WELL worth the repair, as it is a Martin and already a good instrument.

These things happen with changes in humidity and the wood expands and contracts. From the looks of the pic, it's nothing serious and is just part of the wear and tear of owning and loving/playing a guitar. So don't worry about it, and if the crack gets worse and it starts to negatively effect the guitar, take it to a luthier and they can replace it lickity-split.

Btw, I'm jealous...i love martins and i love 12 strings. :D

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What I did NOT mention is the fact that we called the seller (a reputable NY music dealer) and asked him to PLEASE loosen the strings before shipping it. When I opened the case and took out the guitar.... IT WAS STILL IN TUNE. They didn't touch it. At least I can say this guitar stays in tune. :lol:

I'm going to ask for some money back...at least enough to cover the repair.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay, looking at the pics here are my suggestions

If the dealer will adjust the price, good. If not, go through Ebay, paypal whatever and force him to. $75 to $100 seems reasonable to pay to replace the bridge.

If you want to deal with it yourself, get some Titebond and work the glue into the crack with the strings on and up to tension. The crack will be open at this point.

No great rush at this point, but release all the tension on the strings, if you have a capo, capo at 12*. Remove the pins, clean up the glue that has now squeezed out. Clean the pins.

No need to clamp. Let it dry for 24 hours.

Should hold for several years if you are lucky.

* if you capo as high on the neck as you can, it makes putting the strings back in a piece of cake.

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If the dealer will adjust the price, good. If not, go through Ebay, paypal whatever and force him to. $75 to $100 seems reasonable to pay to replace the bridge.

Nick....$100 is exactly what I asked the dealer for. :!:

The seller says he's a Martin dealer (NY) and might be able to get it replaced by Martin, even though it was "like new" and I'm not the first owner. I said that would still cost about $35-$40 shipping each way. He said he will contact UPS first, and see if they will pay a $100 claim. He seems sincere and helpful.

I would much rather have it done locally as I hate having to ship.

Nick...QUESTION on the repair.....you say release the tension....I got that, but remove the pins? Do I need to remove ALL the pins or just the ones on the row with the crack?

Thanks,
Dennis (feeling MUCH better about this today than last night)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd remove them all so that the bridge can compress naturally.

You could just loosen the fronts so that they have no tension and leave them in place.

ReplyQuote