Clear all

12th fret string height

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Could somebody please tell me the maximum, minimum and approximate optimum 12th fret string height (distance between string and fretboard) for an electric guitar?

Thankyou

Peter

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Being you didn't say electric or acoustic, here is a general measurement.

For most players a string height (also known in guitar slang as action) of 3/64" of an inch is considered normal. Some players choose a higher sting height such as 4/64" of an inch while players which tend to have a light touch and want the fastest action possible strive to lower the action as close as possible to 2/64" which in many case's is very hard to setup and maintain without fret buzzing somewhere on the finger board

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

He did say electric, but I think you answered the question that way anyway. :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Sorry, maybe I need glasses...lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thankyou, yes you did answer my question.

I had seen those measurements somewhere else on these forums a while ago, but had forgotten them, and just couldn't find them again.

I'll go check mi guitar now...

ReplyQuote
 Bull
(@bull)
Trusted Member

Just for the fun of it, I measured my 2 guitars and they look about 3/32” (6/64") at the 12 fret. That off the neck, and not off the fret itself. And that to the bottom of the string. Is that way too much?
It's like a 1/16" (4/64") off the fret.
I no speed demon, and play mainly chords, and strum kind of hard at times. So my action is set kind of high. Being an electric guitar, it don't take hands of steel to fret a string (lights .042-.009), and to keep the buzzing down, I rather set it to high than to low.

3/64" is .047, that like the thickness of a low E string. I must be pounding the piss out of my guitar.
How thick of a pick do you use? I use a medium.

-Bull

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It is measured from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. So you are good to go.

ReplyQuote