Clear all

New Pickups!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez SAseries electric, it was a cheap guitar, but I love the neck, and the action, my two favorite aspects of guitars, so I want to upgrade my hardware. it has two single coil pickups and a humbucker, and I'm looking to replace the single coils, I play a lot of blues, funk, folk, and rhythm guitar, what would be the best option?
I'm also considering changing out the humbuckers for my rhythm playing

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I have a question. What type of amp are you using?

I would recommend that if you don't already have an All tube amp it should be first on the list, next would an equalizer. Changing guitar electronics would come after. The quest for sound you maybe looking for comes from power-stage saturation.

Everyone talks about changing guitar speakers and pickups, but those must be considered 2nd-tier, drastic solutions. The first kind of solution is to try a small watt all tube amp, EQ pedals/rack EQ's and power attenuators. By placing an EQ pedal before an amp and a EQ in the amp's FX loop will allow you more control of signal and tone.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I use an all-tube behringer, my annoyance is sustain, and my single coils give an extremely invasive hum, is there any repair which can reduce the hum, it's really loud, on the volume 1/3 of the way it sounds like a broken refrigerator

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, Shielding and regrounding your guitar will make a difference.

It's really not that difficult, a few ground wires have to be moved to correct the wiring. You will have to do some soldering. You will also need some tools and materials. You'll need them anyway if your going to change the pickups yourself.

Quieting the Beast, here are directions on this task, along with tools and Materials needed.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Sometimes the amp or effects ground can increase the single coil hum problem, as well. Your amp is modern, so it probably has a 3-prong grounding plug. Be sure to plug this into a grounded outlet. Don't use an adapter that allows you to plug into a two prong outlet. I had a guitar hum problem that was solved by simply plugging my amp into a properly grounded outlet.
You can double-check that the ground on an outlet is working properly (they often aren't, especially in older houses) with a testing device that costs about $1.50 at any hardware store (or a more expensive multi-meter, a nice tool to have but unnecessary for this purpose). It looks like a tiny christmas bulb connected to two short wires. Push one wire into the 3rd grounding outlet, and the second into the other two, in turn. If you have a ground the light should light up strongly, at least once.
Remember this is electricity and can hurt you. I try to do this one-handed without touching anything else with my other hand so that, if something goes wrong, I just get a little thrill in my hand and not a heart stopping jolt.
If you are using effects, plug the amp and effects into a single power-strip so you can plug everything into one outlet. This will reduce the chance of forming a ground loop, which can cause hum.
Also, shut off the computer and any flourescent lights, to see if they are causing the hum.
Oh, and make sure you're using a guitar chord that is both good quality (well shielded) and in good condition.
Taking care of these things should help you determine if you need re-grounding or shielding for your pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

For me, I just had to turn off my monitor and everything was quiet :)

btw: Hello all!
:)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote