Clear all

A string buzz at first fret

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I had a friend give me a Epipohone "Rodie" junior guitar for my stepson to practice on. Pretty cool little guitar that has an amp that uses a 9 volt battery.

Here is my problem. When I got the guitar several strings were broken, so I went out and bought a new set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky's because he is only 9 and I wanted something that is easy on the fingers (and cheap too!).

When I pick the open A string it rubs on the first fret. I have raised the action at the bridge as high as it can go but it still buzzes. All the other strings work great. It looks like the slot on the nut is a little deeper than the others. Anyone have any ideas on how to raise the string at the nut without replacing the nut?

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Normally I would recommend taking shavings from the nut and mix it with super glue to fill the slot a little. However, since you are not removing any you have none. The alternative is baking soda and super glue. Just mix it and put it in the slot with a toothpick. Let it set then use the string like a file and clean the bottom of the slot.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils. I was thinking about the super glue but wasnt sure. Great idea.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote