Pickguard replacement

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello, everyone.
I have this little project that is still in the planning stage. I've got a Squier Stratocaster. The guitar itself is of excellent quallity. It feels very nice when played and has got low action. However, the pickups are a disaster. The sound is weak and has got too much high frequencies and too little mids and bass. So, I decided to get new pickups.
I am thinking of installing a humbucker in the bridge position and an EMG-SA in the neck. So, I guess the easiest way would be to make my own pickguard with a jigsaw. I don't have a problem with that. However, I have a few questions.
First, do you think it's a good combination - humbucker and EMG-SA. I hear it's sort of difficult to combine active pickups with passive. And also, would they sound well when played together.
Second, I have practically no idea how to do the wiring. I mean, I know how to solder and all that, but I don't know what has to be soldered to what and where, if you know what I mean. I need a wiring scheme or something. Do you know of any that would suit my purpose? I was thinking to do the same wiring as on Les Paul, but I'm probably wrong.
Anyway, if you have any suggestions or advice, they are more than welcome.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You have a number of questions here so I will try one at a time

PICKGUARD

Lots of people make their own but you can also make a tracing of what you want and have a custom made from a variety of materials and designs. Try this site but there are many out there Pick Guards

PICKUPS

I have heard the same as you about putting active and passive pickups together but some have made it work and are happy with it. As far as how they would sound I am not sure since I have never tried it or heard it that I am aware of. As far as using a HB at the bridge or neck and singles elsewhere it is very popular and does make for great sound combinations. You could go crazy with switch combinations.

WIRING

Again, may options for many different sounds. Check this site out for custom wiring Guitar Electronics and this one Project Guitar for options.

Good luck and enjoy experimenting

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Lots of schematics here

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics.shtml

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

The fender website has the actual wiring diagrams for all of their production guitars. You'd definately be able to get a wiring diagram for a fat strat.

ReplyQuote