Clear all

£100 amp

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've got a really crappy 10 watt amp at the moment which hasn't even got an overdrive function on it.. i want to get an amp with a price range from £100 - £140, what piece of ampage could i get for the money, hoping for something at about 20 watts.

cheers

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wicked cheers mate, so which one of these would you recommend ? the Princeton has incredible watt for the money but, is watt taking over quality in this case ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As you're in the UK, 123Music and Musiciansfriend are going to cost in transport - they're based in the US.

Look around the UK guitar shops, on the web. If you have trouble finding any, buy something like "guitar" magazine and take a look at the adverts.

Trying to get an idea of UK prices from US websites is not going to help. By the time you've added their "handling charges", you're often not far away from the price from a UK supplier.

Having said that, the pound is so strong, at the moment, that it may be worthwhile, but do your sums before ordering.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thing is though, will most of the amps in england be imported from US and so have the transport added on from the shops that import them over here ? even though i know it'd be cheaper for them. well i dunno, but anyway, forget the price now, whats the best 20/30 watt amp ?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I personally like the Fender and the Crate. Alot depends on personal taste and type of music you play.

Another thing to remember is the power differences between US and the UK so whatever you get make sure it is for the UK

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

If it's quality you want, don't go for a marshall MG seires amp, they are horendously badly built in my experience. Fenders seem to be rather more firmly bolted together, don't know about crates, but have heard a lot of good things said about them.

Don't feel limited to that. Take a look at peaveys, they make a few in that sort of price range, and they are built like tanks. For sheer value, Behringer can't be beaten, in cost and in features, however there have been some reliability issues with them (though to me they seem better made than the afore mentioned marshalls).

Certainly look at The Roland Cube 15 or Cube 30. they are brilliant, and very under rated amps. They have a great tone, are beautifully built and are a bit of a modern classic really. Also very reasonably priced.

If it's in built effects your after, check the Alesis Spitfire 30, about £110 I think, 30 Watts with a multi FX unit built in as well as a very good basic tone. Or the Zoom Fire 30 is very similar, but a bit pricier.

Take a look at http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com . This is the web based side of my local guitar shop. I have had many dealings with them and they seem to be very good. Also look at Soho Soundhouse (sorry don't know the website, but they are a big UK based internet guitar shop).

Hope that helps

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I've got a really crappy 10 watt amp at the moment which hasn't even got an overdrive function on it.. i want to get an amp with a price range from £100 - £140, what piece of ampage could i get for the money, hoping for something at about 20 watts.

cheers

I'd take a good look at the Vox Valvetronix series of amps.

As the proud owner of a Vox Pathfinder and a Vox Tonelab SE, the Vox modeling technology is head and shoulders above anything else I've tried. The craftsmanship and build quality of the amps themselves are stellar, especially given the reasonable cost of their "low-end" offerings.

I've raved about my Pathfinder quite a bit on the forum - a quick search will pull my previous posts up.

Here's a link to the specs on the amps themself:
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/productMenu.htm

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whats the line 6 spider 2 30 like ?

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

The Line 6 Spider 2 30watter is the one I would go for for practice and starting out.
Try one out you wont believe the sounds availible.

Its excellent choice with 4 amp models built in and these are real good for a bit of variety whilst you are learning also has 6 effects built in 2 usable at once .

Only thing I dont like too much is that the clean sound always seems to have a bit of chorus from the effects but you can live with it , the insane mode is one of the best lead sounds that I have ever heard on an amp in this price range.

You can pick one up for £139.00 on the net or the 15watter for £110 , 15watter cannot use a footboard for changing effects and only 8"speaker. :P

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

where have you seen it for 130 quid ??

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Sorry for late reply but look for planet of sound on ebay they also have a shop atwww.theplanetofsound.co.uk
lots selling now for around 139.99 , there is a new technology called Google :lol:

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What kind of amp is it tube or solid-state? If you supply more information on the amp I could brainstorm some Ideas to experiment with. Like maybe just changing the speaker or if its a tube amp it may need new tubes. If I calculated right that would about
United Kingdom Pounds 149.00 GBP
United States Dollars 256.985 USD

There are many differnt amps that would fall into that price range. What sound or tone are you after?

Have you run the amp on a clean setting and use any multi-effects pedals?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I havn't seen one at all yet, i dont know any shops that sell the line6 range.but i've heard good things about line 6 effects centres and hopefully there amps are as good.

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think its solid state.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2