Clear all

Going over 10s

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I recently thought I'd try out some 11 gauge strings. I thought they might give me a fuller sound or maybe I just wanted to be a little different than everyone else I know. Plus, Stevie Ray used thick strings, thus, if I copy him, I'll sound just like him - right? :D Big mistake. I tried 11s on my Les Paul and my Epi Les Paul. I broke the nut on the Epi. Both guitars rattle and buzz now. Plus, I can't really tell much difference than the 10s that were on them before. It's just not worth it. I don't see why anyone would bother with going over 10s.

P.S. I thought putting a higher gauge string on would cause the neck to curve more, thus raising the action. So why do the strings now rattle and buzz? I had the action set higher than normal before because I play rhythm.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Did you check the action when you changed the strings? Did you check the neck (truss rod)? Did you check the intonation?

A change of one guage should not have caused a nut to break - there was something else at fault than the strings IMHO

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The larger diameter strings may be sitting in (or even "on") nut slots that are too small, leading to rattles. You probably have to cut the nut slots to fit. However, should you do this, you will either have to replace the nut or fill and re-file the nuts slots should you return to lighter strings. Since you have to replace the Epi nut, might want to start with a properly sized nut on that before filing away on the other guitar.

I have 11s on one of my Fender-types, but use it for primarily for rhythm and cleaner, less-bendy lead playing. It's also a semi-hollow and the heavier strings fill out the tone. I also have electrics with 10s and 9s. I play each one differently, partly because of the string gauges. In any case, don't think I'd ever consider changing them all at once.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's amazing you broke the nut by going up just one gauge. I've been using .11-49 on my SG for a couple of years and have grown accustomed to them. I bend strings about every other month. Whenever I pick up a guitar with 10's or 9's it's quite a relief not having to barre as hard. Heck, I even bend strings on those. But for normal playing I'd say 10's are great.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote