Skip to content
Acoustic guitar nee...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic guitar needs set up or just the way it is?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A month ago I purchased a basic beginner 6 string acoustic guitar. Its a Montana if that means anything to anyone. I like it and for its purpose it has been great. But last week I started looking at better quality acoustic electric guitar and the thing I noticed was that the strings were alot easier to press down than they are on mine.

Is this because mine is an acoustic and these were acoustic/electrics, because mine is cheap (paid $125 US), because I need someone to set it up? To me it seems like the strings are too high off the fret board closer to my strumming hand. I dont play down there much yet, but could that effect how difficult it is to make chords on the other side towards the tuning pegs? I also noticed that on the acoustic electric it was much easier for me to make good sounding chords and chord changes, but on mine is is much more difficult.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'd definately go for a set up. Even on less expensive guitars it can help. By the way do you know the best brand of guitar? Answer: The one that makes you want to play everyday! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

WOOT.. I got the best then!!! I love this guitar and it was only after my visit to guitar center that I noticed a difference. I just didnt know if it was possible to set up a "regular" acoustic guitar.

THANKS art&lutherie

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Good observation. Yes. How a guitar is setup or the action is set can make a world of difference. I would take it to a shop and ask them to adjust it, then ask them if you can watch to learn how its done.

joe

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Got the guitar back yesterday and after tuning it up, now I have a buzzing on two of the frets. Cant remember which ones but its only on two different strings on two different frets. Gonna take it back later today to see if that can be fixed.

To help my action they lowered my bridge. Plays a WHOLE lot better now.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

You can read about the cause of buzzing here http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/OwnerManual/manssguitar.html
Check under Buzz diagnosis.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote