Clear all

acoustic --> high action

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I got a problem with this Acoustic guitar of mine. It's action is quite high especially when i tune it to standard tuning. I'm thinking of lower the nut ( at the bridge) by cutting it a few mm. Is there any other way to lower the 'action'?

Hum..

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you need to lower the height of your saddle, sandpaper attached to a flat surface works well. Simply slide the saddle back and forth across the abrasive, being careful to keep the bottom of the saddle flat. It helps to mark with a pencil how much material you wish to remove and then sand to that mark.

Place a ruler on top of the 12th fret and read the point at which the bottom of the bass E string lies. Most choose 3/32" to be a good starting point for most flat top acoustic guitars. You will find that ideally this measurement will decrease in very small increments as you move towards the treble strings, ending with just a bit over 2/32 at the treble E string.

Here's a site that may also help. Gauging The Action

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi Joe,
I'm going to lower the sadle soon. I'll use sand paper cuz i don't have 'mill bastard file'. Hey, i like the link. It gives me lots of info on guitar repari and maintenance. Thanks a lot.

Hum..

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome.

Take your time and everything will work out fine.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello Joe,
I've just finished sand paper the saddle. Though my work is not that good but the action is lower than before. Thanks for you help.

Hum..

ReplyQuote