Notifications
Clear all

no more neck pickup

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hadleman)
Topic starter  

A few minutes ago I went to play my guitar and what do ya know, the neck pickup isn't working. I checked the pickup selector and the volume and tone knobs, but all the connections are secure, so i'm think'n it has to be the pickup. What do you think could be wrong.

P.S. The pickup is a dimarzio pafPro in an Ibanez js 1000

m/-(^_^)-m/

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Pickups don't usually fail unless they've had the covers removed and had an exposed coil damaged by the pick. The switch or a dedicated pot (volume or tone) is a far more likely failure point. Switch and pot contacts fail more often than the soldering at their terminals -- visual inspection wouldn't show any problem. If you or a friend has and can use an ohmmeter, this should be simple to diagnose.

Good luck -- Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A humbucker consists of two rows of magnets wound with a long length of wire. The magnets won't all fail at the same time and, if it's a splittable pup, it's unlikely that both sets of wires have broken simultaneously.
That leaves outside influences and, by far the most likely, is the selector switch.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

It's aliens...

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll have to agree with gnease, pickup themselves to quit working is far and few between. I would start with the the wiring, switch, and controls. having the switch stop working is common along with solder joints.

There are ways of catching aliens. take a paper bag and a stick, go out in the back yard or a field and use the stick to tap on the bag for awhile. Sooner or later something will run into the bag.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Joe makes a valid point. There have been many a night when I've heard a mysterious tapping and found myself stuck in a paper bag. It gets hot in there.

Anyways, if you really want to get rid of aliens I've found that playing your guitar as loud as you can often scares them off. Or just asking them nicely to stop messing with your pickups.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@hadleman)
Topic starter  

The calliber of discussion and solutions are incredible!
:)

m/-(^_^)-m/

ReplyQuote