Clear all

Action Too Low?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just had my new Highway 1 Strat set up by a pro-luthier. The action on this thing is INCREDIBLY low. There is no string buzz anywhere on the neck and the thing is intonated perfectly. But I have never had a guitar set this low. It requires a softer touch than I've ever had before. Should I go back and have it raised or is this a good thing?

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I love low action guitars. I guess it would depend on your personal preference if you would want to raise it. If you find it to be hindering your style, maybe so. On the other hand, maybe with a new action setup like this, you will be able to discover new possibilities that you have not come across before.

I think I would play it awhile, give it a chance & see how it works out for you. BTW, are the frets standard size? I also prefer jumbo frets & even a scalloped fretboard. Now that really opens up possibilities! :mrgreen:

Let us know how you make out with it!

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I think part of a good set-up should be addressing your needs as a player, so if you don't like it that way I'd definitely get them to fix it.

On the other hand, I agree you should try it for a while and see what you think - my strat has always had a ridiculously high action, and after playing a friend's that was set really low, I was an instant convert and made an appointment to have mine set up...

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've fairly recently setup one of my old 'unsetupable' guitars, and I've improved as a player more in a few months than I'd learned in the previous few years*. It takes a bit of getting used to when switching from a guitar you have to fight, to one that wants to help you. If you really can't get used to it, or you play heavy, aggressive songs while jumping around like a loon then by all means get it raised a little, but give it a really, really good go at getting used to a low action first because once you're used to it, you'll love it. It'll take quite an effort to play gently enough at first, but once you're there you'll be amazed how much smoother, cleaner and faster you can play, and all with less effort.

*although I still have the one I have to fight and swap between the two regularly - the changing between the two is a big help, as it's teaching me to play according to the feel of whatever's in my hands, rather than in a way that only works for one type/setup of guitar.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input guys! I'll give it a while and see what I think.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm anal about this. I set the action the same on all my guitars. 1/16" high E 18th fret, 3/32" low E 18th fret. I like low action. Give it a chance and if you don't like it it's easy to raise it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

It also depends on the guitar. Telecasters have a different sound with lower action. Strat types, not so much. The angle of the strings over the nut and bridge can affect sustain as well. I like a little higher action to avoid string chatter.

ReplyQuote