Clear all

adding pickup covers? and bridge pickup in the neck position

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@maiibuss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey i have an ibanez gax70 and i want to put some pickup covers on it to clean up the look as its allll black it would work very well with the chrome hardware. How do they attach?

and second question i have a Dean Explorer that i as wanting to put a dimebucker in , i think it only goes in the bridge position but i like the way the bridge pickup sounds, the neck pickup is pretty muddy can i put the bridge pickup in the neck position and the dimebucker in the bridge?

Thanks

(@maiibuss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

forgot to add, my ibanez humbuckers dont have the screw type pole pieces so would it look bad? has anyone done it?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I don't know about the pickup covers; might look pretty sweet.

Yes, you could swap the bridge pickup to the neck position. But...neck pu's normally sound a bit muddier anyhow because of their position relative to the string - they're more toward the middle of the string so you get more of the fundamental and not so much of the overtones. In other words, it might sound just about the same, even with the bridge pu in there. One thing you might do, is to lower the neck pu almost so it's level with the ring - or close to a quarter inch away from the underside of the strings. You'll get lower volume obviously, but the sound might be quite a bit cleaner. In the old days we'd 'balance' the pu's like that, sometimes lowering the whole thing and raising the individual pole pieces (which yours doesn't have), or raising the whole pu close to the strings while keeping the pole pieces flat to the cover. Usually that would be for the bridge pup. You wind up with a pretty balanced sound and level; a mellower, stronger sound from the bridge - where things would tend to be thinner and more trebly - and a thinner, clearer sound from the neck, where things would normally be too bassy and loud.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote