Clear all

All about fret dressing...

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Right then - I finally, after almost a year, got one of my guitars back from the mate of my brothers who had borrowed it for 'a couple of gigs'. It always needed a bit of a setup anyway, and I've changed the gauge of the strings to super-slinky so basically I've redone the lot - nut and bridge height, truss rod and intonation. I've managed to lower it to a level where, in combination with the lighter strings, it's actually really easy to play and I'm incredibly chuffed with it so far.

However, there are a couple of places it buzzes everso slightly, which I'd like to get rid of - I've adjusted the height back up a little in the meantime, but I hope to be able to sort these frets out and bring it down again. The setup can cope with it lower, so why not? :)

There's also a much bigger problem, in that parts of some frets (which are fine when the string above them is fretted) cause a buzz when I bend a string. Difficult to put into words really, but as an example, to bend the top E string by a whole tone at the 15th fret, the string ends up about halfway between where the G and the B are usually situated. The G and the B can both be fretted at the 15th with no buzz, yet the E string will buzz on, and even be muted by, the 16th fret when bent. That makes just about no sense to me at all in logical terms (why would the E string cause buzz when the G and B don't? They're in the same place at the time of the buzz :roll:), but it happens exactly like that. I really don't want to have to adjust the height any higher as the rest of the fretboard plays brilliantly.

I have never touched the frets on a guitar before, so I really don't know where to start. Is it something I'm best off leaving to a pro? Is it easy? Is it advisable? A freind of mine says "just go at it with a file then some emery paper", but if his DIY-guitar repair advice is on par with his technical advice that would probably result in the guitar catching fire.

Money's tight at the moment too, so the cheaper the better :wink:

Opinions?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Fret dressing? Isn't that something guitarists put on their salads?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Isn't there something called "fretting out" that you get on guitars with small radius fretboards? I think it happens on Fenders, right? Is the guitar a fender-type?

ReplyQuote
(@gbagwell)

NONONO, don't go after those frets with a file the sparks could cause a fire. In reality fret dressing is not hard as long as you know what you are doing. It does require a special file called a crowning file, and knowing the neck radius. :cry: I started to describe the process here, but is more complicated than most DIY's should handle. If you are pretty good at technical stuff there is a good article at frets.com. A good fret level and dress should not be terribly expensive. If you really want to try it your self email me and I will send you a tutorial on how it is done. good luck

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ric: *groan* :wink:

XG: It's a Marlin Sidewinder, variously described as strat-like but I strongly disagree... :)

GBagwell: I'll read up, price up and decide from there then I guess, and I may take you up on your offer if I get adventurous :) Thanks for the help.

Oh, and welcome to GN, too! :)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

BEFORE you go at the guitar with any abrasives take a look at the problem fret!

Sometimes fret ends lift up, see if there's a gap between the fret and fretboard or see if you can dig a thin pick between the fret and fretboard.

A tight radius will "fret out" a bent note, some Fenders have this problem.

If you have a high fret sometimes you can gently tap it back down but if you are not sure of what you are doing then a fret dress should cost about $1.50 per fret. A crown and level job addresses all the frets but will cost a little more, there's a fair amount of time involved in it. Also, some expertise is called for, you can get in over your head with it pretty easily.

I have done guitars that the frets could be pulled out by hand but that's on the extreme end. Sometimes a drop of superglue under the loose fret will hold it down. Normal temp and humidity changes over the years will also work frets out and a light tap will seat them again.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Racetruck, I'll check for that too when I get home.

ReplyQuote