Notifications
Clear all

Amp trouble

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo17)
Topic starter  

Hey everybody I just managed to get an sweet amp at an amazing deal however view issues with it.

The amp i just snagged from a friend is a Fender Ultimate Chorus for a overwhelming price of $5 lol

But the amp came with a major problem i think.

I was told it may have blown speakers so i re-wired it a line 6 head and individually tried both speaker, which to my disbelief worked perfectly.

From there i took it the head off and checked the wiring on it, which from my reasearch has shown is a common problem with this model. I plan on re-doing the soldering on it to see if that helps, but im conserned with the possiblity that it may be a deeper problem. If this is the case does anyone know anysuggestions on what it may be and how to fix it or how much it may cost.

The symptoms that im getting from this beauty is a lot of cracking and MAJOR hum. The hum i know can be problem when she's cranked way up but im getting hum from the lowest volume possible.

So any suggestions or help would be greatly apparaciated i really wanna get this beast up and running again for the oppurtunity to tick of the neighbors plus it has some sentimental meaning behind to me as well.

Thanks for any advice mates

(@shake-your-bottom)

Sorry mate, it seems your problems are indeed deeper. There is not enough information here to trouble shoot your problem but assuming you have checked all the simple things like grounding, bad cables, loose wires, hum induced from outside electronics, then you will need a tech to check it out. And he would be the one to quote repair cost. Good luck.

Bass Guitar String

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

blown or disconnected (bad soldering) power supply capacitor(s) mebbe? that would put hum on the supply rails. cracking is usually an active device (transistor or tube) going bad or intermittent connection. a fried active device could also create hum.

in addition to soldering issues, look for swollen, popped or burnt caps, as well a toasting or damaged of other components.

are you hearing any guitar sounds out of this, or is it completely dead for that?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote