Notifications
Clear all

Dean Markley Promag REPAIR [HELP!]

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@armchair-bandit)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone - Thanks for checking this post out - I've been looking for days now for some help on repairing the allegedly "easy to fix" output jack of my Dean Markley Promag Grand Humbucking pickup for acoustic guitars. You can unscrew the jack from the cable, and supposedly just re-expose the wires and reinsert it to get it to work. I've tried several methods but i still get nothing or all buzzing... I've looked inside the jack, and it seems like there's a pin at the bottom (where the actual plug is supposed to insert to the socket).
The Black wire insulates a weave of silver ones
these wrap around a clear insulation, separating the 5-10 copper wires.
It seems like the pin in the jack should connect to the copper wires, and the silver ones cover the circumference of the rest.
Has anyone done this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

No, I've never repaired one of these, but based on your description, and this picture compliments of someplace else, uhh, I hope I can tell you wus happenin'.

When you got nothing for sound, your weave of wire, or braided silver shield and the positive center wire are in contact with eachother, somehow, and that cancels everything.

You need to remove, or expose enough of the center clear-covered wire, and strip it, and solder it well, and indepentently to the pin, which as you've realized is positive, delivering power.

And with the silver braid that covers the clear plastic, pull a bunch of it out freely from the overall black outer sheath/exterior coating, twizzle it up, and solder it to the sleeve, or negative area.

It would be extra cool if you could place shrink wrap over everything inside, except the threads, if it would fit. 8)

I believe your humming is happening because the braided ground, or solder upon it, is contacting the metal 'nut' or screwed piece that holds it all together. It absolutely must be separated from the ground sleeve tho it looks attached.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@crvernon)

I just ran into this on mine. So here is the deal.

When it starts making noise unscrew the set screw and pull the wire out.

You should see that the set screw has punctured the thicker rubber sheilding.

Cut the wire cleanly. Don't strip anything.

Re-insert the wire to the connector and tighten the set screw. You should probably feel it puncture the rubber.

If the set screw is flush it should be in contact with the conductor. Test it out with an amp and guitar.

Then I would go another half turn past flush to make sure it's secure.

ReplyQuote