Notifications
Clear all

Bass guitar gone dead

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@spammydodger)
Topic starter  

Can anyone help? the other day my bass guitar (a yamaha with active pickups)
just stopped working during mid playing just get like a wet fart sound like batteries have died.
I thought it strange at the time because batteries normally go gradually
so i changed batteries brand new ones and its still same
any ideas anyone? :?:

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Try a different cable; try a different amp.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@spammydodger)
Topic starter  

cable is fine so is the amp :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, if you can prove the cable and amp combination you're using is fine, then nothing's left but the insides. Two paths. Well, three paths.

#1: Take it to the shop.

#2: Start replacing parts. The guys here will have opinions on which one(s) to try first.

#3: Find a trouble shooting guide, arm yourself with a electronics meter (I forget the proper name for it) and go through a diagnostics regimen.

I've never had one flat out die without it being a switch being uber-sensitive or a cable being faulty. However, I've only been playing for a little over 4 years. There's lots more in store for me, to be sure.

Some of those EMG setups come with additional little doo-hickies on the inside. I know the David Gilmour set comes with 2 or 3 additional components. Option #2 could become way expensive.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

so i changed batteries brand new ones
Make sure you got it in right and make sure it's good. Sounds a lot like a battery problem ... but if not .... the active electronics might be the issue, how about the input jack?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@spammydodger)
Topic starter  

AAahh! ive opened back and to check input jack and then tried looking for any loose wires anywhere and found that black wire coming from battery issnt connected to anything but i cant see any obvious blobs of solder with no wire on it or signs of a broken wire
does any one know where it should be connected to?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't know, spammydodger, but maybe there's a schematic on EMG's website for it? Sorry I can't help more.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote