Clear all

Beginner Brought Dodgy Guitar??

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have just purchased my first guitar it is a secondhand squire telecaster  :) but when i connect it up to the amp sometimes the sounds stops coming through the speaker and i have to tap the guitar to start it again  ??? is this just a loose wire inside maybe or something more serious? also there is a three way switch is it normal  for no sound to come through to the amp at all in one position? Cheers People..

(@davec)
Trusted Member

Sounds like you have a couple of loose wires in there, you should get an output from all the positions.
You can find the wiring diagram for the telecaster here:
Wiring Diagrams from Everything Fender
If you have a soldiering iron you should be able to fix it yourself, or you could take it in to get it repaired somewhere.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would check all the wires and re-soldier if needed, also clean the selector switch or replace if needed.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Happened to me once also. Mine was a loose wire. If you don't know what your doing, (like I don't!), I suggest taking it to a reputable guitar tech. It shouldn't cost you much. Being a new guitar, (for you anyways), you can also get it set up for how you like the string action and so on. Good luck with it.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@spider61)

sounds like a grounding problem. if you have never had and electric guitar open don't. but a good place to get instructions on how to do it yourself is . http://www.stew-mac.com .   go to wiring 101 look for the diagram for telescaters. remember electicity can and will hurt you, :o
so if you don't think you can DON'T

just one gold record away from retriment..

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The 3-position switch should work in all positions - it may be dirty or you may have a poor connection. The wire need not be completley disconnected for you to have problems - the solder joint could have split.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@firemanjerry)

::)Could also be a bad volume pot. I had this problem on a Schecter Omen 6 and it got pretty bad. I agree with the other posts if you're not confident with opening up the guitar to do the repairs yourself take it to a guitar tech.  8)

ReplyQuote