Skip to content
Best way to get a n...

Notifications
Clear all

Best way to get a new pickup routing....

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fragger)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I want to convert an HSS routed guitar to an HxH routed guitar. The thing is, I don't have the expertize to do it myself, nor would I wanna take my chances.

So I was wondering if you guys can tell me the best way to go about this problem. I mean should I contact my local music stores and get a quote from them or are the luthiers the best way to go around it? Whatever the case, where do I find these sources? I mean I tried searching for luthiers in the yellow pages in my area and it found nothing. Also, the only music stores I have near me is a Sam Ash and another local music store. Should I give these guys a call?

One last thing, what would be some of the issues that I might have to deal with in this transition? I mean does the new routing hurt the finish/needs refinishing? What kind of pickup switches are going to be needed? And finally how much extra would it cost me to add a coil tap in the neck?

I know I could find a lot of these answers by calling some people, but to avoid being over charged and having some info before calling, I decided to post here to get some knowledge/opinions. Thank you for reading.

P.S: What does it mean by F-spacing and direct mounting and non-direct mounting, and how do these things affect the tone and installation of new pickups?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Where do you live? You should have a competent guitar shop within 50 miles. Use a Hot Rail see it in the middle of this page Hot Rail

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote