Clear all

Best way to remove inserts ....

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What is the best/easiest way to remove the body inserts for the stop tail bridge studs and/or tune-o-matic bridge studs in order to replace them with upgrades or hardware color changes. To clearify, I'm wanting to remove the body inserts ... are they glued in normally or just pressure fit? Best way to get them out and any issues with the holes being too large for new inserts once the old ones are removed?

THX

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

They are generally not glued in from the factory.

The best way to remove them is to rock them back and forth slightly and try to wiggle them up as you do. Sometimes you can just pull them straight up but pull gently or you may bring some wood with them. You can either use the old post as a handle or find a bolt that fits.

If the hole is too big for the new inserts then you will have to find a dowel (preferably wood) that is slightly over sized and drill them the holes out so the dowel is snug. Then glue the dowel in with a small amount of wood glue. Sand them even with the top of the guitar body. Then drill them for the new insert.

Not a job for the faint hearted or unskilled wood worker.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils ... the woodwork, if need be, is no problem. The finish work could be. I'll have to consider this before I start but I think those inserts, if not glued in, should come out without enlarging the hole.

Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote