Breaking strings

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey!

OK, so I've been having issues. Until recently I hardly ever broke and strings. It just didn't seem to happen.

However, recently they have been snapping right, left and centre, and all at the bridge, where the string rests on the saddle. Is this an indication of a particular problem? Strings, guitar, playing technique?

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks,
G

Listen Louder Than You Play

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I hear of this quite often.

it could be a couple of things.

playing style: if you pluck the string righ next to the saddle or very very close to the bridge with any power you will break a string.

I doubt that is you case. as you only recently came to this problem.

more likely is there is a burr on the saddle itself.

take a bit of emery paper, 400 to 600 grit, and gently polish the saddle.
wipe clean with a q tip.
that should do it.
9 of 10 times that's the problem.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

My opinion. Practice picking and strumming softer. It's called touch playing. It could also be the batch of strings your using. I buy case's of strings when I buy them and each individual sets in the case can be a little different. Certain things for guitar like shielded cables and strings, sometimes you need to pay the extra to get better quality. I know money's tight, even when I was starving musician I relized early-on that good cables and strings were a must and came with a heavy price. I still came up with what was needed to get them. Nothing worse than breaking a string or have a cable short out right in the middle of your best solo ever.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys!

Thanks for getting back to me.

It could well be either really. I do tend to bash my guitar at times - although only when, IMO, necessary, rather than a lack of touch. But then that hasn't changed recently, so it might not be the cause.

When I find the time I'll take a look the guitar to see if it needs attention. I've been away over this weekend, so haven't played at all since I posted the question earlier.

Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it!
Thanks again.
G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote