Clear all

Bit of help needed

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I have played my current favourite guitar for about 6 years, and it has never had a set up.

I have noticed that there is a fair amount of relief in the neck, and the intonation is out.

I'm going to have a go at correcting this myself but I just want to make sure I am going to do it right :D

My plan is 1) adjust the truss rod until the neck is straight.
2) raise the bridge until there is no fret buzz
3) alter the intonation using the tiny screws behind the bridge that the strings rest on.
4) this should all be done with the strings on

I know these sound crazy questions, but I have never done this before, am I correct?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, sort of. Fixing the neck relief may take care of the buzz. You may not need to adjust the action depending on the heigth you want. As for adjusting the intonation always do this with new strings. Old strings can affect the intonation so when you do restring it you will find it no longer intonates. I adjust my guitar trus rods with the strings on. It is probably best to losen them during adjustments but I don't always do this as I use such light strings. With a bass I always losen the strings if I am tightening the rod.

What guitar is it. I will find you some instructions and specs for particular guitars.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Tips/Basic-Guitar-Setup.aspx

http://www.fender.com/support/articles.php?section=articles&category=how-to-guides

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks TR, thats a great help.

My guitar is a les paul type guitar (a vintage v100) so that first link you posted is spot on.

thanks very much for your help :-)

i hope i dont now go and break my guitar with my two left hands :lol:

edit: Another question

I want the action to be as low as it is on my telecaster type guitar. Is this possible? or do les paul type guitarsm always have a slightly higher action?
Im just asking in case i get frustrated by trying and failing to achieve the impossible?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My Les Pauls are capable of extremely low action. I think partly due to the flat radius the boards have.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

How low the action can go is more a matter of how its setup, and how level the fretts are then type of guitar. My epi LP is pretty low.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I didn't get this chance to do this last night, but tomorrow it's on!!

I'll let you know how it pans out, thanks everybody for the help.

Al

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wow, that wasn't as hard as I thout it would be :D

Thanks for the advice, I have now done my first ever set up, and am the happy owner of a guitar with low action and good intonation..

Playing it now, makes me realise just how bad I had let it get over time :D

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Cool! glad to hear you got it done.

It is strange how things move around with time isnt it. 2 years ago I gont my oldest daughter one of those Mini strats. I set it all up at the time, but it doesnt get used a lot... sits on the stand most of the time.. Well i was teaching my younges a song on it last night, and was amazed how high the action was on it now!!! Did a quicky trussrod tweek, and action adjustment, and we are good to go for now. Didnt adjust intonation...shes six, and we were learning twinkle twinkle.... it was good enough for that :D :D :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow, that wasn't as hard as I thout it would be :D

Thanks for the advice, I have now done my first ever set up, and am the happy owner of a guitar with low action and good intonation..

Playing it now, makes me realise just how bad I had let it get over time :D
Been playing 35+ years and never paid for a setup once. Own 20 some guitars so I have lots of setup experience. It is a very rewarding thing to become proficient at! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

TR, are there any huge "NO NO's" when setting a guitar up?

Can everything be reversed or are there certain things that would
damage a guitar permanently?

For example going too far with tightening the truss rod etc?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

TR, are there any huge "NO NO's" when setting a guitar up?

Can everything be reversed or are there certain things that would
damage a guitar permanently?

For example going too far with tightening the truss rod etc?

That's a buggy....you not going to crank a 1/2" of releaf out of the neck buy cranking two turns on the truss rod!!!! Small tweeks and give the wood time to react..

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Breaking the truss rod is the only irreversable thing I can think of. Go slow, small amounts at a time and you will be good. Don't horse it or force it. If you keep on top of your relief, it should always be a small adjustment. :D

ReplyQuote