Clear all

Bridge Buzzing

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a lower end Yamaha F325. When I play chords, I get pretty substantial buzzing from the bridge. I'm a beginner so at first I thought that maybe it was simply my not being able to hit clear chords but I get this even when I really make sure that all my fingers are on the correct position. I don't get this buzz (noticably) when I play the open strings. Any advice?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It is not typical to get a buzz from an acoustic bridge. The only possibility that I can think of is if the string ball ends are not pulled up tight against the bridge pin slot or the pins are not all the way in.

Since you don't get it on the open strings it is possible that you are actually getting fret buzz and it just sounds like it is coming from the bridge. Check the string height at the 12th fret and also the neck relief. Instructions for doing this is all over the net but you can try the "basic setup" page on my site below for info on how to measure these.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I always forget. Welcome to GN and enjoy your stay.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. Love the website. And actually really find your site very usefull as well. The link to the Music Theory is really great. I actually am noticing that the buzz is probably fret buzz. It was like htat out of hte box. How could I fix that? Would I adjust the truss rod?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks. Love the website. And actually really find your site very usefull as well. The link to the Music Theory is really great. I actually am noticing that the buzz is probably fret buzz. It was like htat out of hte box. How could I fix that? Would I adjust the truss rod?
It is probably a combination of neck relief and action. Since you need to do the neck relief first anyway I would check that then do the string height at the 12th.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote