What does a $45 guitar sound like?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It sounds exactly like you think one would sound. :D

I picked up a little used Montana travel guitar ( http://www.wholenote.com/store/product.asp?sku=AD.MTG1&nav=m ) off eBay a week or two ago. I thought it would be kind of fun to noodle around with and maybe I could take it on trips, outside camping etc.

I pull it out of the box and it sounds horrible! Even a banjo made by Estaban would turn it's nose up at this thing. On top of that, I had the world's only guitar with a CONCAVE saddle, i.e. the treble strings stick out further than the middle ones so every strum twangs that e extra loud. The fretboard has no radius, so it feels a little concave if you're not used to it. I guess he was trying to match the contour of the strings to the fretbard.

Seeing how I was planning to change strings anyway, (I'm LH...) I decided to check out that plastic saddle, so I pull it out and lo and behold, I find that this guy had cut the bottom off with a pocket knife. Didn't even bother to level off the outside edges. So I get the sandpaper out and attempt to level off the bottom lowering the action a bit, and while I'm at it, try to lower the lo e side for easier strumming.

To keep extra stress off the bridge, I decided to go with 10's. I thought that such a small guitar would be hi tensioned at standard tuning, but I found out it's just the opposite. It felt kind of loose. Too loose. I became an expert string bender whether I wanted to or not. I still wasn't pleased with the sound quite yet. So I decided to try some Martin SP 11's. (I'm not going to risk 12's...) MUCH better. It tightened the strings up a bit, the bridge still seems in good shape and the sound is much better and louder than you would think.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting used to the sound. It's no Seagull, but I can't put this little thing down. It's light (2.5lbs.) so it's not really "unbalanced" like I thought a travel guitar would be and it's easy to carry around the house, and it sounds 20 times better than a Martin Backpacker I tried in Dallas at a fraction of the price.

I guess if I really wanted to go all the way, I'd get a saddleboy kit and correct the saddle angle or even replace the bridge, but I'm not sure if this thing is worth it. I have to say though, I did get $45 worth of enjoyment tinkering with the thing knowing I couldn't screw things up any worse than $45 worth.

Maybe next month if the thing can hold together that long.... :)

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Dustdevil

Its funny cause until now I thought I was the ONLY person that owned a Montana. I am not sure of the model of mine but it was 125 new and they tell me its a solid top.

However, with mine it wasnt too bad out of the box. The action wasnt great but it wasnt horrible. But recently, I messed it up and created a really horrible buzz on the 12th fret. I took it back to the shop that I bought it from and they did a proceedure with a Plek Machine. The proceedure normally cost $130 bucks which is more than the guitar, but this thing sounds so beautiful now. It sounds like a classy instrument and is so easy to finger.

Not trying to talk you into a 125 dollar procedure, but just I guess showing what can be accomplished with enough money and the right tools

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, my action is a little high. I think it's because the bridge seems to be rather tall. I sanded the saddle and that hi E side down as low as I dared and still get a decent break angle over the saddle. Because the strings are a little loose, fretting doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as one would think. It seems to be easier on the fingers than a regular guitar.

What kind and size strings do you have on yours? I didn't get any literature with mine so I don't know what they recommend. The 11's are giving me good sound, but I'm afraid the little guy might not be able to hold them. I really don't want to go back to the 10's.

I think I'm going to try to learn "Losing My Religion" and "Going to California" on this thing.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Have to check when I get home but I think I am using D'Addario light acoustic.. I think they are 11s. I will check when I get home in an hour or so.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I use D'Addario EJ16 Acoustic Guitar strings on it. I believe they are 12's

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@sweatsavesblood)
Eminent Member

I guess you can add a third member to the exclusive club of Montana guitar ownership. I had a Montana as my 1st and it was decent. Cost me about 175. Bright, red top, all highly lacquered and HPL everything. It had a really odd "ring" to it and not the good, quality ringing we're all looking for. I'm talking about playing a chord progression simply and well after you've hit that last chord there's a ringing going on like an old rotary phone. Funny little axe. Sold it to a friend to hack with and moved up to a Martin. Quite a difference.

- mdr
"And under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me" - orwell

ReplyQuote