Clear all

Bridge problems

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez acoustic, and when I went to chainge my strings today. The bridge came out. I looked at it and i seems to have never been glued in. when I tried to set it back up, I found that no matter how I put it in, my action was all screwed up. the strings we touching the fretboard at the 1st and 2nd frets. Im wondering why I can do to fix this. underneath the bridge is a small plastic strip, and a brozne string. The model number of my guitar is AEG10e-vs-14-102. has any one else had this problem that could lend me some advice

thanks in advance
Micheal

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That plastic strip and wire under the part that fell out is actually the pickup. See that white part, the 'saddle' it's usually called, sits snug on top of that strip and whatever vibrations the strings make vibrates through the saddle and then gets picked up by that sensor.

For it to work properly the saddles in acoustic/electric guitars like yours have to fit sorta loosely in that slot, so it doesn't bind against the edges and get hung up. That's why it fell out so easily.

As far as your action goes, sometimes when you're putting the saddle back in, it's just a tiny bit crooked and doesn't slip all the way down so it's resting flat against the bottom of its slot. That might be the problem. You might loosen the strings up and then gently make sure the saddle's flat bottom is resting squarely on that plastic sensor strip. You might have to rock it back and forth or side to side so it goes all the way in, then start tightening the strings again.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good advice. sounds like you have a piezo pickup in your guitar. cool.
the strap buttom on the bottom of the guitar is also where you plug a jack in.
are there any controls ? if not then when you plug into myour amp (making sure the volume is waaay down) you can control the tone and output of your acoustic. dont face the guitar towards the amp; you'll get feedback.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote