Clear all

Bridge unit lifting on 12 string

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, a friend of mine has a 12 string guitar that the bridge has lifted from the back. It is still playable but the action can't be set low enough for easy playing and it is of course a worry that the unit will continue to lift, eventually pulling out.

He and I are both technicians and are not above doing the work ourselves. My question is roughly what should it cost to have it done. What is involved in doing the proceedure and how is it done?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Max

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

More Information needed. What's the brand and model of the guitar? Acoustic or Electric?

Other things would be if the bridge can be reused or needs to be replace it with a new bridge. this will be a wag (wild A** guess) I'd say anywhere from 40.00 to 120.00. It really depends on the missing information.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

yep, if you want it done right, probably around $75.

If you are feeling hand you can heat up an artists pallette knife and slide it under the bridge to remove it, but you'll probably scar the finish a little.

You'll need good deep clamps and a caul to match the bridge.

but it can be done.

slide the heated knife little by little under the bridge. After you have removed the bridge sand the glue off the back. Make sure you are gluing the bridge back to solid wood, not finish.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

To do my Guild 12-string, I bought a clamp, a bridge caul and a Bridge Doctor from Stew-Mac and did it myself. The only other things needed were a palatte knife, some single-edged razor blades for scraping and smoothing, Titebond Original Glue and instructions in Dan Erlewine's book on guitar repair (published by Guitar Player). If you and your friend are techs, you can handle it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

This is true, but the cost of the equipment probably exceeds the cost of the repair.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well thanks for the info it definitly sounds do-able.

The bridge is in good shape and will be reusable. The guitar is a 20 year old fender acoustic.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is true, but the cost of the equipment probably exceeds the cost of the repair.

Getting good quality tools for the bridge repair cost only about $50 -- and that's probably higher side cost. I decided to buy the "better" clamp and clamping caul, assuming I'd have the chance to use them again on another guitar.

The cost of the bridge doctor is above the typical repair. Consider that purchase and installation of a Bridge Doctor would probably have cost another $75 to $100 at a shop. Nevertheless, I recommend installing this to keep the problem from recurring and also to inhibit top bellying.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Don't get me wrong. I think everyone should feel capable of doing their own repairs. I'm just saying in this case you won't come out ahead of taking it in.

$50 plus your time is probably more than the repair.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You're correct, Nick -- most people's time will have been better spent on things other than gluing a bridge. In my case, I did get some benefit from the experience, as I'm a process kind of guy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Of course.

And if you plan on doing this kind of thing more than once, then the investment is a good thing.

ReplyQuote