Notifications
Clear all

Post Broke off inside bushing

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@shredder16)
Topic starter  

I recently purchased a used guitar with a floyd rose bridge on it. When I got home I attempted to even out the bridge by adjusting one of the posts, and it snapped off inside the bushing! I managed to get the bushing out by drilling a small hole in the rear cavity and tapping out the post/bushing with an ice pick, but I still can't figure out how to get the post out of the bushing! I tried drilling down through the post, but that didn't work. I figured I could just get another bushing, but I'm having a hard time trying to find bushings by themselves for a floyd rose. Also, the guitar is an Ibanez and I have heard that the threading on the posts is different (meaning I would need Ibanez bushings)...is this true???? I only ask because I have another pair of ibanez posts laying around (no extra bushings). So, if anyone has an idea of how to get the post out of the bushing or where to get the right bushing (besides ebay)...Any help would be appreciated!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Anybody?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would try the typical mechanic's anti-seize techniques: First, try soaking it in penetrating oil to loosen it. If that fails, remove the (flammable) p-oil as much as possible and try heat -- torch or heat gun or even a gas stove jet. Generally, best results are had if the bushing gets hotter than the post.

You might consider replacing both bushings and posts. Here's a source

Good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@shredder16)
Topic starter  

i finally got it. i was able to make a very shallow cut on the piece broken off down inside and then used a flat head screw driver to turn the thing out!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I would try the typical mechanic's anti-seize techniques: First, try soaking it in penetrating oil to loosen it. If that fails, remove the (flammable) p-oil as much as possible and try heat -- torch or heat gun or even a gas stove jet. Generally, best results are had if the bushing gets hotter than the post.

You might consider replacing both bushings and posts. Here's a source

Good luck.

Funny, I've been to StewMac lots of times and just never saw that page before. Thanks gnease!

ReplyQuote