Clear all

Tying Strap to Headstock?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This question is a followup to one on here recently concerning installing strap buttons. Let's assume that I have no desire to install a strap button and drill into my acoustic.

Any thoughts on what to use to tie the strap to the headstock? Anyone have any ideas on the best way to tie it? How long should the material be? I'm placing an emphasis on not harming the guitar and avoiding having it slip and the guitar fall.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on leaving the strap attached while the guitar is stored in the case? I read recently that vinyl in a strap could eat away lacquer finish. Any other pitfalls to storing it with the strap? Finally, nearly every article I've ever read says that tying a strap on at the headstock has no ill effects on the neck. Anyone taking a contrary view?

Ever notice that the world "listen" contains the same letters as "silent"?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

First of all -- don't use a vinyl or vinyl-lined strap for your guitar. If you don't want to spend the money on leather or have a philosophical issue with it, go for woven nylon.

As for attaching to the headstock: Once upon a time, that was the way it was done for all flat top acoustics. Back in those dark ole days, one used something as simple as a shoestring or braided cord to loop around the headstock -- usually just behind the nut -- and attach to the strap. In these modern times, there are quick release versions of this: Planet Waves Version

Note the picture is a little strange in that most players tie-up directly behind the nut -- less stress on the headstock that way.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Gnease,

You're a lifesaver! Now how come I didn't see that in my Musiciansfriend catalog I received the other day?!? Also, you saved my family's shoelaces from trial and error. Their feet thank you.

Leather is fine by me.

You're right about the photo. I've never seen it done that way -- always directly behind the nut. Thanks again for the helpful and quick response.

Ever notice that the world "listen" contains the same letters as "silent"?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You can buy the string from a music shop, just tell them what it's for and they will give you the correct one. If not, you can use a boot string, they are pretty tough strings to break plus they match most acoustics. :D

Before I put a strap pin on my Ibanez (which is easy to do), I just tied it over and under (like you are just starting to tie your shoes), then I would double knot it.

ReplyQuote
(@windowwasher88)

My guitar strap came with a string, which I just tied right behind the nut.

"I look straight in the mirror and watch it come clearer. I look like a painter behin all the grease. But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing. A crystal clear canvas is my masterpiece." - When I Fall, Barenaked Ladies

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i use a healthy cotton or synthetic (not sure which) shoelace. i've had numerous leather necklace type straps dry out and break over the years and i won't risk my guitars on leather laces.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i use a healthy cotton or synthetic (not sure which) shoelace. i've had numerous leather necklace type straps dry out and break over the years and i won't risk my guitars on leather laces.

Agreed -- I was recommending leather for the strap to avoid damaging the guitar's finish with cheapo vinyl. The tie cord should be a woven piece.

My guitar strap came with a string, which I just tied right behind the nut.

Most straps used to come with the string -- not so universal anymore. In any case, once I tried a quick release, I was sold. It makes strap removal so much easier.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

My acousitc came in a starter pack, the strap on it had a nylon shoestring allready looped through one end of the strap. Just find one off an old shoe (doesn't even have to be yours!) and use that.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I saw a old Elvis Presley video and his strap was around the headstock like in the musicians friend picture.

:)

ReplyQuote