Clear all

Replacement Tuning machines

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I have another thread about repalcement pick-ups, but I also am replacing the tuning machines on my ('02?) Fender Toronado. I already bought some Grovers at the suggestion of the guy at the shop. The problem is - the Grovers would require me taking a drill to my guitars' headstock. I am fairly good at wood working, so I am not too concerned. The question is wether I should go with the Grovers or try to find a higher end Fender product to replace what is there. My problem with the tuners that are currently on the guitar - they are slotted tuners and I only changed the strings right once (using a book for guidance). If you don't change the strings right every time, then the tuning slips quickly and I don't own that book to guide me thru it every time. I would just rather go wih a more conventional tuning machine. Thanks for your replies.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The grovers should be fine as long as they are not the low end ones. If they are 14:1 or higher you should be good.

As far as taking a drill to the headstock, it is doable but extra caution is needed or you could crack the headstock or at a minimum scratch it.. I would suggest a ream instead of a drill. A little slower but a lot safer.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yep, it's tricky drilling larger holes in smaller ones. The bit tends to grab and crack the overlay.

I think it would be a whole lot easier to figure out how to string correctly with your existing tuners.

But....the grovers should be fine.

ReplyQuote