Clear all

More pick-up questions

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know the difference between regular spacing and F-spacing on pickups. Also, in the descriptions on the guitar catalogue websites, it seems 4 wires is described as standard. If I have two hummers and a three way toggle switch, where do the wires go? Is there a good answer from one of you folks or a nice link for that? Thanks!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

F-spacing is for Fender string spacing and equivalents.

Pups usually come with wiring instructions. Standard humbucker wiring is done in series -- connect two of the wires together and insulate them; one of the others is hot and goes to the switch/pots; the final goes to the common point (ground). However, the reason you are provided four wires (pair for each coil of the 'bucker) is to allow for the many alternative wirings that provide other tones: Parallel coils, split coil (single coil complete with hum, baby). Again, the pup's instructions should explain all this.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Since I have a Fender Toronado, I guess I would need F-spaced pick-ups then, to get optimal sound!?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ah ... the Toronado -- you'll need to check on that one. It's a Fender, but one of the few Fenders with a 24.75 in scale length (like Gibson). The F-spacing refers to string spacing, but it's possible the Toronado also emulates Gibson string spacing. One way to check is taking a ruler to a store that carries both Toronados and Gibbies (LP, SG) and measure the string spacing over each pup. Might want to also check the pup mounting screw spacings to make sure there are no issues there. Or you could email Seymour Duncan company, as they'd probably know.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well if Seymour Duncan does not know, then I just knew there was a reason to drive 22 miles to the one store in town that carries Gibby's. It couldn't possibly be the store 4 miles away that had that "official" backing by Gibson. And I love Gibson's. I think an SG will be my next guitar. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Epiphone LPs and SGs would be equivalent, but it sounds as if you are looking for an excuse to check out Gibsons.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I already have the Gibson Faded V. and I love it. I respect the good qualities of both guitars, but have not been satisfied with the Fender for a while. I went searching for another guitar and came across the faded V. I know the Fender won't ever be the V, but I am looking to make it more enjoyable. I am replacing the the saddles to something more comfortable and also the tuners to a better and easiear to string up variety. The tuners is actually another question. Thank You for your responses, though.

ReplyQuote
(@panterririst)

Wow. The Gibson Faded V is a killer guitar, man. Lucky you.

I'm still trying to convince my pal it's a bad guitar and he should sell it to me cuz I collect bad stuff.

"Pain is pure, isn't it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I already have the Gibson Faded V. and I love it. I respect the good qualities of both guitars, but have not been satisfied with the Fender for a while. I went searching for another guitar and came across the faded V. I know the Fender won't ever be the V, but I am looking to make it more enjoyable. I am replacing the the saddles to something more comfortable and also the tuners to a better and easiear to string up variety. The tuners is actually another question. Thank You for your responses, though.

Didn't mean to restrict the measurement to LP and SG -- those were just suggetions. You can measure the faded V's pups and string spacing for comparison to the Toronado.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I e-mailed tech support at Musiciansfriend.com also. The response indicated that F-spacing was for Floyd Rose equipped guitars. At any rate, the pick-ups on my Toro and my faded V seem to be very similar in size and the pole pieces seem to fall into the same spaces on my tape measure (within a 1/16th). Now I just need to figure out what I want to replace the Toro's pick-ups with. Thanks for the responses.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

This site helped me when I changed my pups.

If you want more crunch from your strat, you should look into Seymour Duncan "Hot Rail" pups. I forget the names of the other two SD's I put in but, they were along the lines of, bride JR and something else (I know, not much help, sorry!).

I ended up taking mine back because they weren't the sound I was looking for but, they looked SOOOOOO..... Cool I just had to try them. To muddy for me at the stage that I was at, playing ability wise. If I could pick up (no pun intended) a junk guitar I would slap those humbuckings (single coils sized) in it. Not that I wouldn't put them in a good guitar.........there just not going in my new American Deluxe Strat. I tried them in my squire I had, my cousin has that now.

Sorry for any confusion!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I e-mailed tech support at Musiciansfriend.com also. The response indicated that F-spacing was for Floyd Rose equipped guitars. At any rate, the pick-ups on my Toro and my faded V seem to be very similar in size and the pole pieces seem to fall into the same spaces on my tape measure (within a 1/16th). Now I just need to figure out what I want to replace the Toro's pick-ups with. Thanks for the responses.

FWIW, did a little research: The term F-spacing seems to be used interchangably for Fender and Floyd Rose spacings, especially the bridge pup. Not surprising since F-R trem assemblies fit Fender Strats and clones.

In any case, the center-to-center spacing on the outer poles of the F-spaced pup are about 0.125 inch wider than those of the "normal" pup, which measures 2 inches. And I note that while my kid's Jackson has a F-R trem, that didn't stop Jackson from putting a standard 2 inch 'bucker in the bridge position instead of a properly sized pup. It seems to work fine -- though I can't stand playing that guitar for other reasons.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote