Clear all

Broken Bridge Pin

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Was changing strings earlier tonight and came to take the bridge pin out - Bottom E - it was very stiff so I got the pliers on it........upshot being the rounded head snapped off. I then tried pulling it out by the string but that snapped.......I have tried to get at it from underneath through the soundhole but my hands are too big.....any advice?

Does'nt matter too much about scratching the bridge......it's an old guitar, the sort DHodge refers to as an old cheeseslicer and I was going to bin it till I saw his suggestion about keeping it for slide practise...so i raised the action and duck-taped the body back together, and lo I have a practise guitar!! Saves having to re-tune every time I fancy playing slide...

I think the only option I may have is to drill it with a very small drill-bit...

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@floyd)

Hey man. That sucks. But if the head of the pin is broken off can you just try to force it through the bridge the other way and then shake it out of the body? That shouldnt be too touch if you take some needlenose pliers and a hammer and just sort of jam it through...or better yet even a nail or something will work...i only say this cuz you say its a practice guitar, and if that doesnt work Im out of ideas so good luck

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Don't think so - it's tapered and thinner at the bottom - if I could fit my hand through the soundhole i could probably get it through by pushing up - I really can't work out how it got to be so tight!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If you can't get your hand in there then try an L - bracket and HOLD on to the body. You should be able to get at least two fingers in there to push up on the bottom of the L - bracket to push up the pin.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

that could work - if not I'll have to ask the daughter!!!

Not waking her up at 2.20 am though - more than my life's worth!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

you can drill it. Worked for me on a glued in pin.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Nick beat me, but I'll leave it anyway.

If that doesn't work then you will have to get a Drill & Tap set if you want to do it the way you would get it done professionally.

Basically that consists of drilling a small pilot hole through the center of the pin (the drill size should be alittle smaller that the tip you are drilling upto) then, you take the tap and slowly recarve the grooves untill all of the old pin shaveings are gone.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I Managed it - after some considerable messing about!!!!

I drilled through it with my smallest drill-bit, which by the way broke off!!! I then had to use a slightly bigger bit to push the small one through - by this time though it had loosened the pin and it came out.

A WORD OF WARNING - I mentioned that the (.42 gauge, roundwound) bottom E string had snapped - bits of metal tended to fly out while I was drilling so make sure you have some kind of eye protection - as luck would have it, I was wearing reading glasses, but not through any foresight on my part - I'll know better next time!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

put that in the category with don't smoke while cleaning with lighter fluid....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And Naked Soldering :wink: !!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I sometimes think that perhaps lighter fluid and soldering irons in that sequence would be a good "Viking Funeral" for my guitars - rather than have them suffer the long-drawn out death by manual strangulation which is all I can offer............

:(

ReplyQuote