Clear all

plastic on the pickguard?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

:oops: I bought this new electric guitar recently and was playing it wheni hit the pickguard and ripped a hole in this plastic that covered it. What should i do? Should i take the plastic off entirely and if so will that damage it or should i try to repair it and if so how would i do that? Thanks in advance

kirk
(@kirk)

Just take the plastic off. The pickgaurd is designed to get scratched up instead of the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

That Plastic cover is put there to protect the pick guard from scatches while getting ready for shipping from the factory and when folks come into a store and try the guitar out. You remove it if you like or just let it wear off.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Yeah, its perfectly fine to take it off. Eventually the pickguard will get scratch but it will take a while. If your dont liek the scratches after a while you can buy a new pickguard and they are pretty cheap. but they are designed to take the scratched instead of the finish of the guitar.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've got a digital camera that I've borrowed for a couple of weeks. Anyone want to see what a rhythm player does to a pick guard? Mine looks like it was used for a sled ride down a hill. :oops:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ever seen the movie Woodstock? I remember what Richie Haven's guitar looked like :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've seen it a few times but not recently. I'll have to go to my buddy's house, grab a few beers and watch that. One thing I try hard to forget is when they interview the guy who cleans the portable bathrooms and filming it. Oh my, not my kind of job.

About an hour ago I did take some pics of my pick guard and it made me laugh. If no pick guard were present I'm sure I would be all the way through the nitrocellulose and getting to the wood. Sometimes I get a little crazy with my picking when I get excited.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

One of Willie Nelson's acoustics has seen some guitar playing. Has that broke-in look.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think that;s "Broke-n" look.

Corbind, you should look at the Brian Moore guitars they are built with both sides sloping away from the strings. Your pick would hit air.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

One of Willie Nelson's acoustics has seen some guitar playing. Has that broke-in look.

Joe

That guitar is considered one of the world's most famous and recognizable Martins. C. F. Martin even uses it in an advert -- IIRC, Willie calls it "Trigger" -- draw your own conclusions about that.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, those BM guitars are nice having that slope. Still, they don't have pick guards so the guitar finish really looks great. But that means, if you somehow hit the sloped sides you get some wear on the gloss coat. I like the BM guitars but found them quite heavy like a LP.

ReplyQuote