Clear all

Buzz after playing for a while

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My LP copy develops a fret buzz after playing for 20-30 min.
It seems to be on all strings, but is more pronounced on the bass strings. It happens when I fret the 1st to the 5th or 6th frets.
If I set the guitar aside for a while (like 10 min or more) the buzz goes away, but then comes bach after I play for a while again.

I tried loosening the truss rod a bit, and discovered that it's already about as loose as it can be without removing the adjustment nut entirely (no, I didn't do that!)

The action isn't overly low, as far as I can tell (I haven't played many other guitars enough to easily compare/know the difference).

My guess is that the neck warms up enough where my left hand is, that the neck moves back a bit, causing the strings to lower a bit. My gut reaction is to attempt to shim the neck a bit.
Or pehaps raise the bridge, although it already seems fairly high above the body of the guitar. I expect that if there is too much thread showing that the bridge might get unstable.

Before I do something drastic, anyone have any ideas?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would think about raising the action very little. I very seldom adjust necks unless all else fails.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I played tonight until the buzzing started, then I turned the bridge adjusters about 1/3 of a turn up on both sides of the bridge, re-tuned and played for another 30-40 min with no more problems.

It makes sense that any adjustment I could make without dis-assembling the guitar would be the best thing to try first.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes thats true. Good to hear things worked out.

joe

ReplyQuote