Clear all

Buzzing note

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just bought a new Fender acoustic CD-140SCE for 3 bills. I didn't notice in the store playing for a while (it was somewhat noisy) but when I got home, the high E on the 14th fret is.. noticeably messed up.

It gives a somewhat muted, buzzing sound. Almost like it's touching both the 14th and 15th fret. If I just very lightly fret the 14th I get the the 15th tone. It's very apparent on the 14th fret, and a little on the 12th.

Obviously I'm taking it back but curious what the diagnosis might be. Action height on that string? Loose fret or messed up fret height out of the factory? Everywhere else the action and intonation seems stellar.

Have them fix or replace it?

Thx

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

(@billyboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Update. It went away.

Played it heavily for more than a week. Curious if brand new guitars have a settling in period, where you have temp changes, or just playing it settles the nut, saddle and the neck gets where it's suppose to be.

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Update. It went away.

Played it heavily for more than a week. Curious if brand new guitars have a settling in period, where you have temp changes, or just playing it settles the nut, saddle and the neck gets where it's suppose to be.

Between shipping, sititng in whrehouses, sitting at the stores, getting it home too your house, plus just the changes in weather will make things move around quite a bit. IMHO moreso in a new guitar. Im guessing you might have a fret a little high, and as the neck moves a little bit it comes and goes a little. the buzz may come back, or it may not, but if it does a quick setup, and maybe a fret dress will probably handle it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote