Changed Sizes 10s to 9s won't stay in Tune

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My brand new Schecter Omen 6.

I changed the strings from 10s to 9s. Now it wont stay in Tune.
I am no pro at this but I have been changing strings for over 10 years. But I have never changed the size of my strings.

It came to me out of tune, but I really didn't play it enough with the 10s on it to see if it would stay in tune with those.

Do I need to adjust the truss rod??? I have never done that and have heard I could damage my guitar by doing this.

Any thoughts.

Thanks!!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Ive never heard of anyone going to lighter strings before.

a few things could be occuring.
the obvious, forgive me, is the strings need to stretch out a bit.
the other is...
since you are used to 10's perhaps you are overpowering those wimpy 9's.
you may have to string them differently to hang on the post better.

just a thought.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, maybe I didn't give enough info. My fault. What I meant to say was that I am used to 9s and my new guitar came with 10s. So I changed them to 9s.

As far as hanging onto the post, that could very well be it. Maybe those tuners are a little different than the ones on my Strat. These are Grover Tuners and they are suppose to be very good. I will wait and see if they stretch out. I may put new strings on it in a few days and use a different method.

Thanks for your help!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

One thing you may be noticing is that when you change gauges, the intonation will change and has to be readjusted.

Another is that lighter strings are slacker at the same tuning. They go sharp when they're played hard, and the pitch descends as the vibrational range decreases as the sound fades. That happens with ALL strings, but it's much more noticeable when the strings are slacker.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

One thing you may be noticing is that when you change gauges, the intonation will change and has to be readjusted.

Another is that lighter strings are slacker at the same tuning. They go sharp when they're played hard, and the pitch descends as the vibrational range decreases as the sound fades. That happens with ALL strings, but it's much more noticeable when the strings are slacker.

Just checked the tuning. From yesterday the LOW E was a little flat and the D was also.

Right now I am hoping that I was just being paranoid with a new guitar.

The intonation is very close, but I didn't check it when it had the 10s, so I don't know if it changed.

Thats interesting about the strings changing pitch. I need to learn more about this stuff.

A lot of articles on the net state how to check to see if your truss rod needs any adjustment. Mine seems to be ok. The measurement I took is a little high, but within the guidelines that I found. Hope its true.

Funny thing, or mean thing, a doood on another forum told me to fix my guitar I should turn the truss rod one full turn, if that didn't work, to turn it 2 or 3 more times. LOL. Glad I knew better.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Thats interesting about the strings changing pitch. The reason for that is that, when the string's vibrating through a wide range, it's stretched tighter when it's at either extreme. Raises the pitch, just like bending. It makes more difference on a slacker string than on a tighter one. That's one reason some like the tone of heavy strings better. Another is that the higher harmonics are more nearly truly harmonics of the fundamental with heavier, tighter strings. With lighter, slacker strings it's more noticeable that each "harmonic" up the scale goes progressively sharper relative to the fundamental. That's because strings aren't ideal, but have bending stiffness. It affects the shorter wavelength "partial" vibrations more than the long wavelength fundamental, and shows up more when the string's slacker.

But lighter strings sure are easier to bend!
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

One day I may go up to 10s but it may be a while. My hands, mainly my knuckles are sore a lot from arthritis I suppose. So going to tens may make that worse, I don't know. And like most people I have heard that Tens are better for tone than nines. I haven't played them enough to see for myself.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Don't laugh, I broke a string from tuning this thing too much. Not sure what caused it. I tightened the tuners, they were loose and one of the mounting screws was loose too. Half of the screws on this guitar were loose.

I think my guitar case is puting the neck in a bind. Maybe that is whats keeping it out of tune. I am gonna work on it tomorrow. Change strings, and trade cases with the strat. Maybe that case will work better(if that is my problem).

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ibanez RG321.

Heres a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

Just thinking about trading in for one of those.

ReplyQuote