Notifications
Clear all

changing pikups

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@etoprs)
Topic starter  

what up, i have an epiphone special, and i would like to have guitar center experts put a couple 'prs' pickups on it,

do you think this will make it sound better,

and do you think this would work?

i really know nothing about how a guitar works so please respond

thanks etoprs

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Why don't you ask the guys at Guitar center what they would recommend?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Putting new pickups on an epiphone wont make it sound like a Gibson, or a PRS. I think you should hang on to it for now.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It all depends, in my opinion, pickups can't help you if you don't like the sound of the guitar in general, although i believe that they can enhance the sound of a guitar if you are pleased with it already but feel that you need more output or gain or something like that.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Save your money for a better guitar. Pickups that would make that guitar sound much better will cost a minimum of $50 and as much as $150. Then the Guitar tech won't be that cheap. If you have $200 dollars to spend on improvements to the one guitar, then that is a great start on getting another and much better guitar. If you don't have a lot of cash, then you need to step up to a $400 - $600 guitar. You can find some really great guitars in that price range that need no modification whatsoever. A lot of cash is the next level $600 - $900. Truly pro level (IMO) is $900 and up. Let us know what you decide and if we helped.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

You know "etoprs", I may have seemed a little harsh in my previous response. I am sure you have a certain fondness for your Epi, because it is probably your first guitar. I don't know how much PRS pick-ups would cost, but you can get really good DiMarzio for $60 a piece. So, if you want to spend $120 bucks for two humbuckers and then some labor cost, that is up to you. I personally would hang on to the guitar as is until later. Try to save up for one of the Gibson faded series as a next step. I have a faded V and might try for a faded SG soon. I have played the faded SG and it is really nice for the price. The reviews are positive, for what you would pay for it. A lot of people feel the Schecters are similar in play and feel to Gibson and PRS. I would say closer to PRS as far as feel goes. I personally don't like that feel though. I prefer Gibson. Good Luck!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote