Notifications
Clear all

stringing problems

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@wingnut)
Topic starter  

i recently bought some nylon strings and after the arrived i realized that they were slightly different from my steel strings in that they didn't have the barrels on the end for attaching them to the pegs on my guitar.... (forgive me i'm new to this!!)

is there any way to still use them as i prefer the sound to the steel strings...

please help
Wingnut

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I assume you are talking about an acoustic guitar which more than likely has bridge pins for holding the strings in the holes. If so then you can tie a knot in the end which should be enough to catch the bottom of the hole when the pin is in place.

There is one issue however, you may need to adjust the neck relief since the nylon strings will no where near put enough tension on the neck.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wingnut)
Topic starter  

yeah it's acoustic remember i warned you that i'm new to the whole thing!!

the neck tension is adjusted with the allen head screw inside the guitar ata the bottom of the neck right?? and when will i know that i have enough tension???

thanks and thanks again
Wingnut

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Correct on the adjustment.

The only way to tell you have the right tension is when the distance between the string and the fret is correct. You measure this best by putting a capo on the first fret, fret the 14th fret and measure the distance between the top of the 6th or 7th fret and the bottom of the string. It should be around 10 thousandths of an inch give or take a couple. Good range is between 5 and 15 thousandths.

Once you are there fret each string one at a time all the way up and down the neck to make sure you are getting no buzzing.

More details on my pages below if you feel like reading a little

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wingnut)
Topic starter  

thank you thank you thank you.....
you just saved me a lot of time, money and possibly a divorce!!

Wingnut

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

thank you thank you thank you.....
you just saved me a lot of time, money and possibly a divorce!!

Wingnut
So your sure you wanted to save the marriage huh :lol:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote