Clear all

Guitar warranty problems/advice

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Not really sure where to put this but i'm looking for some advice on guitar warranty. I have an Ibanez S470 which i bought in September. This was ordered in for me and when it came in i didn't really check over the finish of the guitar. I first noticed a black smudge on the neck. And then about two weeks later i noticed where the neck attaches to the bridge the paint wasn't completely finished. Not a serious flaw but i thought this would mean the finish might slowly come off over time, so i took it into Music Stop within the first month to have it looked at. They told me there was no way that the paint would wear off any more and to reassure me they had the guitar tech look at it, and to my surprise when it came back he had touched up the paint job without my consent. (Not that a touch up was bad, just the way they went about it without consulting me first). I didn't make much of a deal about it.

So that was settled. However, a couple months later there were two problems which came up. I noticed a buzzing in the tremolo and how paint was wearing off around the cut out for the single coil (and later noticed paint coming off behind the tremolo cutout). I took this in and they insisted that there looked to be lacquer still on the spot with no black paint so it must have came this way, despite how i told them this was slowly wearing off. And they agreed that the paint wouldn't be coming off due to the pick or finger placement.

It was a few weeks before my guitar was taken into service because of a long waiting period. When it finally did go in they said three days. A week and a half later i never heard anything from them so i stopped in to see what was happening. There were 'no notes' written but i was assured that the guitar tech did in fact look at the guitar. another week and a half no news and after calling was told the guitar had been sent back because the tremolo was not fixable and i would "most likely be getting a new guitar." (The guitar finish problems were never mentioned to Ibanez).

This did not happen however, as the same guitar was sent back to me with a new tremolo and a new scratch about 1 cm wide and 2-3 cms long, right by the neck pickups. What happens if my guitar is damaged while being fixed under warranty? I'm i simply supposed to suck it up? Or have to deal with another touch up? Am i overreacting? I really don't know what i should expect or what i should be pushing for.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Tough break. Not sure what to do maybe call Ibanez and tell them your tale of whoa. Obviously I wouldn't deal with these guys again.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I'd agree with the above, although I would try one more time (with the store). Take it in and simply demand your moeny back or a new guitar. They should not jerk you around like they are, so you no, you are not over reacting. You might need to react even more. Ibanez probably wont help you because they have made aleraations (so called repairs) to the guitar.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice. I was told today that the service department is going to meet with managers on monday to see if its best for them to give me my money back or get me a new guitar.
regards

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats good to hear. Most music stores usually will work things out. Because most don't want folks going away unhappy and then by word of mouth about how they shafted you would hurt their business. Maybe they will even through in a new shielded cable or something for going without.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

If all of this falls through. I suggest a simple mathematical equation
Brick+window=revenge/payback. :twisted:

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If all of this falls through. I suggest a simple mathematical equation
Brick+window=revenge/payback. :twisted:

Brick+window=criminal record

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

criminal record+jail = no guitar

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ciaran)
Eminent Member

I know a guy who spent a long while in jail. He got to be very good at the guitar while he was there. Chess too. I don't think he would recommend it though.

ReplyQuote