Notifications
Clear all

chip repair

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sixbysix)
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez , probably with a polyurethane finish I think, it had the chip you see in the pic when I bought it 2nd hand. I figured, no biggie, I'll just get some wood filler, sand it , then paint in some black paint using black fingernail paint...What a collossal failure! Between not knowing how and when and how much sanding to do, every step I took seem to make things worse! Now I've sanded the paint back to the filler and and going to start over but a bigger problem, all this sanding has scratched and dulled the surrounding area, and I can't seem to get rid of it....I've been using 800 grit dry, then 1500 grit wet or dry, then tried using a guitar polish and microfiber cloth, and also a dremel with polishing pad and both their red polishing compound, then the white guitar polish, as you can see from the pics, the dullness ain't going away! Am I doomed to have this look this way (dulled surrounding sanded/polished area) , or is there a magic sequence of DETAILED steps to resurrect the original finishes high shine? My next thought was to tape around the chip and use black spray paint , but I dunno if that will work either, and there's still the dulled, sanded surrounding area to deal with. There is another chip , about the same size near the guitar strap bottom pin, and it's in about the same mess....

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I get it. I think many of us have shared the same trouble.

It takes an airbrush to fix it now. Some are available with paint at hobby stores.

That just saves a whole bunch of recounting how many chips I've filled in, but never made perfect.

I had Bill Nash of Nash Guitars in WA State airbrush and polish my last damaged white Ibanez to near perfection.

Depending on where you live, you can have luthiers, art professional or auto/motorcycle body shop do it too, but it costs.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

another thought- I'll bet that when you put a strap on that guitar, put the strap on you, put on hand on the neck and your picking hand on the strings...you ain't gonna see that chip at all.

Just a thought- it's a minor battle scar on a great second hand axe. Play it. Who cares if there's a little chip on the cutaway?

My bass has so many nail polished dings on it that it sort of smells like the living room does after my wife's done her nails. Onstage, it looks fine. (Distance does wonders)

At home, who's looking?

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I figured, no biggie, I'll just get some wood filler, sand it , then paint in some black paint using black fingernail paint...What a collossal failure!
Y'know how on most strong cleaning products it says "test on a small inconspicuous area first..."
Now you know why they say that :oops: .

If it were mine, I'd put some black magic marker on it and call it a day.
After all, it's a rock-n-roll guitar, not a museum piece.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote