Skip to content
Converting right-ha...

Notifications
Clear all

Converting right-handed electric to a lefty !

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mr_chuck)
Topic starter  

Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've just been offered a friend's electric guitar for nothing (sweet!).

Unfortunately it's a right-handed model (not sure exactly what, but I reckon a Strat copy). Will it be hard to convert it to a left-handed so I can play it ? I figure the nut might need replacing, but other than that I'm not sure.

Thanks

Chuck

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mr Chuck,

Free guitar - grab it!!! or introduce pet to this friend of yours *pet is green with envy*who gives away guitars..

I dont know if it can be done on the guitar you have been offered, but i do know it can and has been done before!!!
I have just had the nut replaced on one of my guitars and it cost £12.50, but it was made for my guitar so i consider that to be a bargin!!! not so sure it is just a case of replacing the nut though??!

Ask nick or dhodge - the fountains of all knowledge!!!

Pet

ReplyQuote
(@davec)
Trusted Member

You'll need to replace the nut or have it filled and recut, then you can just put all the strings on the other way round, but you will also need to adjust the action and intonation. Of course if you want to use the trem bar it'll be above the strings instead of below them now along with the controls.

Dave

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

This is the basic stuff:

- The nut will either have to be modified to accomodate the new strings or replaced and cut.

- The dials and selector switches will have to be taped down if you gig with this thing so that they're not affected by your arm.

- The upper strap button, if it's on a horn and not central, will have to be put in a more convenient place.

- You'll have to master the Jimi strut. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@mr_chuck)
Topic starter  

Excellent. Thanks everyone !

I look foward to my practicing the 'Jimi Strut'  ;D

ReplyQuote