Notifications
Clear all

cracked bridge repair????

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ctm78)
Topic starter  

hey I'm new to the forum and i'm hoping that you guys might be able to help me. I bought a guitar (really really cheap) at a tagsale but it needs some repairs, but i"m not sure if there is any hope for it. The bridge cracked right down the middle through the bridge pin holes. But one half of the cracked bridge caused the wood to crack, pulling it slightly up at a diagonal angle. Is there anyway to repair this?? I've already removed the cracked bridge. I'm completely new to this but thought it might be a fun project to end the summer with. Thanks in advance for any advice!

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think there is much that be done with your guitar.

Possibly, the bridge could have been fixed with glue while still in place, then the peg holes could have been re-reamed by hand, and the crack-fill could have been stained and oiled, or actually painted (black) as I've done on a few acoustics.

Now that the bridge has been totally removed, you would have to replace it, using only Hyde glue and the proper clamp, from luthiers or Stew-Mac. The top sounds bad - some luthiers have steam presses, I've employed them and never seen one work. :?

New tops, also known as sound boards are very common on older, valuable guitars, chiefly Martins, especially for the original owner who can have a free one under warranty, I think? :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

significant damage can be quite repairable with good results or a total write-off. from your description, it could go either way. a couple of pics would help us here.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We need some pics to be able to make a decent judgement on what may be needed.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote