Skip to content
What's the correct ...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the correct method for putting pegs back in?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just re-strung my Yamaha FS325 for the first time. I removed the white pegs holding the strings in with pliers, but it seems like I have to push pretty hard to get them back in. I feel like I'm just going to apply too much pressure and cave the whole front of the body in. Is there a tool or preferred method of doing this that won't destroy my guitar?

Find Guitar Teachers

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Generally, the pegs have a slot in them, for the string to go in, like these:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I see the slot, the string is in it, it's just that the peg doesn't go firmly back into the hole all the way. It might be able too, I'm just afraid to push very hard. I'm already pushing pretty hard as it is, I don't want to break anything.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It may be that you are ot pushing the string in far enough.

You need to bend the string (to about 45°, about 1 cm away from the ball end. Psuh the string into the hole so that the bend is facing forward and the ball is no longer visible in the hole. The bridge pin should slip over the string without any problem, assuming it is running in the slot. Now, holding the pin in place with one hand, pull the string with the other - you'll feel the ball come up against the bottom of the pin, at which point the pin should remain in the hole.

That's it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks greybeard, that seemed to do it. When I pulled the string while pushing the pin it clicked into place.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

This has probably been posted before, but here's a great site for info on string changes and other guitar stuff:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

I don't like using pliers to remove the pins. I prefer using the notch on a string winder, as shown here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/PullPin/pullpin.html

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

This nine pound hammer,
It's a little too heavy...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks greybeard, that seemed to do it. When I pulled the string while pushing the pin it clicked into place.

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote